TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 24:1-3
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 10:08 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 24:1-3
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 22:25 
Site Admin

Quote:
{24:1} [This is] a surah which We have sent down and made [that within it] obligatory and revealed therein verses of clear evidence that you might remember.

No need for transliteration. I concede that سورة isn't perfectly translated "Chapter," but it is a very reasonable translation. I suggest,
{24:1} [This is] a Chapter which We have sent down, mandated it and sent down in it verses of clear evidence so that you may remember.

Quote:
{24:2} The [unmarried] woman or [unmarried] man found guilty of sexual intercourse - lash each one of them with a hundred lashes, and do not be taken by pity for them in the religion of God, if you should believe in God and the Last Day. And let a group of the believers witness their punishment.

The interjection "[unmarried]" is justified by the Hadeeth, but it is not implied by the Arabic. We translate the words here, not the religion. I suggest,
{24:2} The fornicating woman and the fornicating man - flog each one of the two of them a hundred lashes, and let not take you for them pity in the religion of God, if you have been believing in God and the Final Day. And let witness their torment a bevy of the believers.

Quote:
{24:3} The fornicator does not marry except a [female] fornicator or polytheist, and none marries her except a fornicator or a polytheist, and that has been made unlawful to the believers.

I suggest,
{24:3} The fornicating man does not marry but a fornicating or a polytheist woman, and the fornicating woman - none marries her but a fornicating or a polytheist man, and that has been forbidden to the believers.

Post subject: Re: Verses 24:1-3
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 22:54 

Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{24:2} The [unmarried] woman or [unmarried] man found guilty of sexual intercourse - lash each one of them with a hundred lashes, and do not be taken by pity for them in the religion of God, if you should believe in God and the Last Day. And let a group of the believers witness their punishment.

The interjection "[unmarried]" is justified by the Hadeeth, but it is not implied by the Arabic. We translate the words here, not the religion. I suggest,
{24:2} The fornicating woman and the fornicating man - flog each one of the two of them a hundred lashes, and let not pity take you for them in the religion of God, if you should believe in God and the Final Day. And let witness their torment a group of the believers.

Two remarks:

1. Even taking the Hadeeth into consideration, the relevant narration still mandates flogging as part of the punishment for married men and women. I find the interjection "[unmarried]" or even an explanation "(unmarried)" to be unfounded.

2. We have a challenge here because fornication in English applies only to the unmarried and adultery applies only to the married, so there is no single word that translates the Arabic word "زنا", not to mention that the distinction in religious punishment (assuming there is one) relates to whether the person has ever been married not just that he or she is married.