TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 40:38-44
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 04:00 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 40:38-44
PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 15:25 
Site Admin

Quote:
{40:38} And he who believed said, "O my people, follow me, I will guide you to the way of right conduct.

The meaning of the word الرشاد is not limited to "the right conduct." It can also mean "the right direction", as Edward Henry Palmer translated it. I have translated it before to "forthrightness", so, I suggest,
{40:38} And he who believed said, "O my people, follow me, I would guide you to the way of forthrightness."

Quote:
{40:39} O my people, this worldly life is only [temporary] enjoyment, and indeed, the Hereafter - that is the home of [permanent] settlement.

I like Dr. M. M. Ghali's simple translation of القرار as residence! So, I suggest,
{40:39} "O my people, verily, this the nearest life is only a temporary enjoyment, and verily, the Hereafter - it is the home of residence.

Quote:
{40:40} Whoever does an evil deed will not be recompensed except by the like thereof; but whoever does righteousness, whether male or female, while he is a believer - those will enter Paradise, being given provision therein without account.

I suggest,
{40:40} Whoever does a misdeed will not be recompensed except by the like thereof; but whoever does a righteous [deed], whether male or female, while a believer - those will enter the Garden, provided therein without account.

Quote:
{40:41} And O my people, how is it that I invite you to salvation while you invite me to the Fire?

Excellent translation.

Quote:
{40:42} You invite me to disbelieve in God and associate with Him that of which I have no knowledge, and I invite you to the Exalted in Might, the Perpetual Forgiver.

I suggest,
{40:42} "You invite me to disbelieve in God and associate with Him that of which I have no knowledge, and I invite you to the Unbeatable, the Oft-Forgiver.

Quote:
{40:43} Assuredly, that to which you invite me has no [response to a] supplication in this world or in the Hereafter; and indeed, our return is to God, and indeed, the transgressors will be companions of the Fire.

I suggest,
{40:43} "[It is] incontrovertible that what you invite me to has no calling in [this] the nearest [life] nor in the Hereafter; and that our comeback is to God, and that the prodigals - they are the inmates of the Fire."

Quote:
{40:44} And you will remember what I [now] say to you, and I entrust my affair to God. Indeed, God is Seeing of [His] servants."

I suggest,
{40:44} "And you will remember what I say to you, and I delegate my affair to God. Verily, God is keen Seer of the worshipers."