TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abrogation bibliography
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 09:42 

A weak anti-abrogation book

A similar attempt at a book dedicated to refuting the abrogation doctrine by a Muslim is contained in this elaborate summary. I feel that the author was not successful in making his case, and that he was inaccurate at times (for example, counting Al-Asfahany as pro-abrogation). I wouldn't have included the link except that it may serve as an example of passionate statements that can be easily shot down (with all due respect to the author), and that there may be some useful details within the text.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 09:56 

Non-Muslim Abrogation Literature

I decided to take one for the team :) and go through general web pages about abrogation in the Quran, most of which are written by non-Muslims. My goal was to maybe identify scholarly articles that have good references or relevant facts, even if the analysis or the motive was objectionable.

There is a significant number of web pages that are purely slanderous without any meaningful content. In the first 7 Google search pages, I found only 3 useful links (notwithstanding the possible non-Islamic views in them)

1. Wikipedia page about abrogation that has names, dates, and places, and a number of references.

2. A short American Muslim article whose author has a Western name. It seems matter-of-factual and logical.

3. A book recommended in this last article and also referenced in the Wikipedia page, by John Burton, called The Sources of Islamic Law, Islamic theory of abrogation, Edinburgh, 1990.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 22:08 
Site Admin

Some articles I found through Google are particularly interesting, though some of them contain hostility.

http://www.freewebs.com/islamicworldnews/nasikhandmansukh.html or
http://www.qurancomplex.org/Display.asp?section=1&l=arb&f=nwasekh158&trans=

It has a table listing 45 verses claimed to have been abrogated and who said they were and who said they weren't. Of the list, only two verses have been agreed on by all scholars considered: 58:12 and 73:1-4!

http://www.thequran.com/AbrogationsComment.aspx

A good Arabic article debating the abrogation issue and clarifying what Al-Asfahaani actually said.

http://www.ahewar.org/debat/show.art.asp?aid=62154 and
http://www.ahewar.org/debat/show.art.asp?aid=62911

This is an emotional, angry article refuting and rebuking the notion of abrogation in the text of the Quran. Nevertheless, it has good points and valid arguments if the reader can get over the passion and name calling ;)

http://www.qurancomplex.org/Display.asp?section=1&l=arb&f=nwasekh004

This page lists a number of printed books and booklets some are pro-abrogation, some are against it, some are a mix and some discuss abrogation in principle.

http://www.saaid.net/book/open.php?cat=2&book=5743

A site where you can download Dr. Mustafa Zayd's book, "An-Naskh fi Al-Qur'aan", two volumes. This book is extensive and has plenty of footnotes.

Admin note: Always be careful when visiting external web addresses, as we obviously have no control over them. In particular, some legitimate sites have been hacked into and infected with malware while their webmasters are unaware of the attack. Always turn on your anti-virus and anti-spyware blocking software to protect your computer. If you sense that a site is loading malware on your computer, for example it is taking a very long time to load a page, we suggest that you promptly abort your browser.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 01:08 

Linguistic wrote:
http://www.saaid.net/book/open.php?cat=2&book=5743

A site where you can download Dr. Mustafa Zayd's book, "An-Naskh fi Al-Qur'aan", two volumes. This book is extensive and has plenty of footnotes.

What an encyclopedia that book is! More than 800 pages of extensive, well organized body of knowledge, with references cited for specific statements identifying the sources of various information. The book took 10 years of work.

The author says he is addressing abrogated verses in the Quran, precisely the thesis of this project. He describes the importance of the subject, and does not take abrogation claims lightly. He also addresses the question of whether there had been abrogated verses that were not included in the text. In addition, he contemplates a future book to deal with abrogation in the Sunna, and discusses how that situation is different from the Quran with sensible reasoning.

The Internet copy quoted above is actually a revised copy by someone who corrected the typos and other aspects, and annotated in the footnotes what he corrected. He mentions that the author followed Imam Malik's school of thought. He also mentions that the author's conclusion is that there are in fact abrogated verses, but that he reduced them to 6 verses.

Alas, the demeaning language used against those in the anti-abrogation camp is not avoided by the author, although he uses milder language than others. It seems that this style is the prevalent tradition in the theological community.

I can't judge the quality of the content until I read the book carefully, but based on what I have read so far, I believe that we have found a definitive reference on the subject.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 07:58 
Site Admin

Two more references that mention and comment on abrogation, but are not dedicated to the subject are,

"The Message of the Quran" by Dr. Muhammad Asad.

قراءة للإسلام من جديد، للدكتور نهرو عبد الصبور طنطاوي

"A reading of Islam anew", by Dr. N. A. Tantaawi. He can be contacted at nehro_basem@hotmail.com

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 08:28 

Pragmatic wrote:
The article identifies Abu-Bakr Al-Jassas, a scholar who died in the Hijri year 370, as the key figure in establishing the abrogation doctrine.

In his book about abrogation, Dr. Mostafa Zeid is reserved about the opinions of Al-Jassas (Item 141 on page 97 of volume 1). The gist of it is that he feels that the definition of abrogation and ensuing analysis by Al-Jassas was a reaction to the debate with the Jews who were influential at the time. He also feels that those who came after Al-Jassas should have recognized that his ideas were reactionary and should have rejected them, but instead they tried to tweek them just a bit. More details about Dr. Zeid's discussion of Al-Jassas are included in this post.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 10:14 

I wish we could dig up some of the original writings about abrogation of two scholars:

• Shah Waliullah (the widely respected scholar who reduced the number of abrogated verses to 5).

• Abu-Muslim Al-Asfahani (the often dismissed early scholar who does not believe in the abrogation doctrine in principle).

I have not been successful in my search so far.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 08:04 

Commentary on Abrogation Books

Pages 329-382 in volume 1 of this book list and comment on major abrogation books through the history of the subject.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 20:42 

Pragmatic wrote:
Non-Muslim Abrogation Literature
3. A book recommended in this last article and also referenced in the Wikipedia page, by John Burton, called The Sources of Islamic Law, Islamic theory of abrogation, Edinburgh, 1990.

I got the book. It is just over 200 pages, written in 1990 by a professor of Islamic studies and chairman of the department of Arabic studies at the University of St. Andrews, a 600-year-old mainstream university in Scotland that also has classics, theology, and history departments. I assume the author is not a Muslim because of his name and his writing style about Islam, but I can't really tell.

My first impression of the book is that it sounds objective, but it is taking a non-Islamic view, so I have to read it with a skeptical eye. Its central theme is how the abrogation doctrine came about, and it focusses on the interval between the death of the Prophet PBUH (stating that the current text of the Quran is perfectly what he left) and the first documented writings about abrogation a century and a half later. The issues that the book lists seem well informed and formulated, and they resonate with many of the questions raised in our discussion.

The author asserts that this book is the first serious study of abrogation in the Western literature, and laments the lack of other studies in the West of such an important subject.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 05:49 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
I wish we could dig up some of the original writings about abrogation of two scholars:

• Shah Waliullah (the widely respected scholar who reduced the number of abrogated verses to 5).

Found three promising sources: Admin note: Always use caution when visiting external web sites, by activating your malware protection software.

• http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1158970
    Has several books about him, such as,
    الفتح المبين في طبقات الأصوليين لعبد الله مصطفي المراغي ط: القاهرة 1947م

• http://www.islamonline.net/Arabic/history/1422/12/article29.shtml
    Has a good bio and a list of his books. The most likely of them to address abrogation, I think, are,

حجة الله البالغة في أسرار الحديث وحكم التشريع، وقد طُبع في الهند سنة (1286هـ= 1869م)، ثم طُبع في مصر بعد ذلك في سنة 1294هـ/1877م

الإنصاف في بيان سبب الاختلاف، وهو يتناول مباحث في أصول الفقه ونشأة المذاهب الفقهية وتعددها في الفقه الإسلامي

• http://www.adabwafan.com/browse/entity.asp?id=5290
    Has his books on sale online.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next