TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verse 2:286
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 07:59 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verse 2:286
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2009, 16:26 
Site Admin

Quote:
{2:286} God does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned. "Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten or erred. Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people."

Excellent translation, except I like to replace the old English style of "burden us not" with the modern English style of "do not burden us." This would also be consistent with the use of "do not impose" in the previous sentence.

Also, I prefer to translate القوم to "folk" instead of "people," since "people" translates better الناس.

I suggest,
{2:286} God does not charge a soul except [what is within] its capacity. For it is what it has earned, and against it is what it has acquired. [Believers are to say,] "Our Lord, do not reprimand us if we forgot or erred. Our Lord, and do not load on us a bond such as you loaded it upon those before us. Our Lord, and do not have us carry that which no stamina have we for it. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving folk.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2009, 21:46 

Linguistic wrote:
I prefer to translate القوم to "folk" instead of "people," since "people" translates better الناس.

I agree. Since "folk" and "folks" are almost interchangeable, maybe we should set a rule for when/whether to use each.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 20:55 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
I prefer to translate القوم to "folk" instead of "people," since "people" translates better الناس.

I agree. Since "folk" and "folks" are almost interchangeable, maybe we should set a rule for when/whether to use each.

I'd say that the rule is quite simple: folks is the plural. It translates أقوام. And folk is the singular. It translates قوم. And while the former does not appear in the Quran, it has been used plenty of times by the Prophet (PBUH).