TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Re: Verses 3:7-9
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 07:05 

Linguistic wrote:
Pragmatic wrote:
1. I would think "drift" may be more accurate than "bias." At least it conveys the meaning of the Arabic word more faithfully to me.

"Drift" seems good but doesn't it have the connotation of passivity or helplessness? "Bias", on the other hand, is a deliberate, conscious decision.

I agree, but the Arabic word doesn't convey to me a deliberate decision. I am just talking about what the word conveys independently of the interpretation of the verse.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 08:27 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
I agree, but the Arabic word doesn't convey to me a deliberate decision. I am just talking about what the word conveys independently of the interpretation of the verse.

It does to me and the reason is that whenever God uses the expression, "in their hearts is ...", He always means it as conscious decision people have made.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 20:26 
Site Admin

It occurred to me that الراسخون in 3:7 is an active participle, not a passive one. Therefore, the translation "established" does not translate it as closely as I like. I suggest,

{3:7} It is He who has sent down to you [, O Muhammad,] the Book; in it are definitive verses - they are the mother of the Book - and others carry multiple meanings. As for those in whose hearts is a bias, they follow what has carried multiple meanings of it, seeking discord and seeking its ultimate meaning. And no one knows its ultimate meaning except God. And those steeping in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And none remember [that] except those with intellects.