TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 3:75-77
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 07:50 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 3:75-77
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 15:17 
Site Admin

Quote:
{3:75} And among the People of the Scripture is he who, if you entrust him with a great amount [of wealth], he will return it to you. And among them is he who, if you entrust him with a [single] silver coin, he will not return it to you unless you are constantly standing over him [demanding it]. That is because they say, "There is no blame upon us concerning the unlearned." And they speak untruth about God while they know [it].

I think it's technical error to translate دينار (Dinar) to silver coin; it was, I believe made of gold. I understand that it was the Dirham that was made of silver.

Also, "There is no blame upon us concerning the unlearned." is an inadequate translation. The Arabic says that they (the Jews) believe that they are not prevented from exploiting the Gentiles. So, a better translation of that sentence, IMHO, would be, "That is because they said, 'We have no restriction regarding the unlettered.' ", or something like that.

I suggest,
{3:75} And among the People of the Book is he who, if you entrust him with a heap [of wealth], he delivers it to you. And among them is he who, if you entrust him with a Dinar (gold coin), he does not deliver it to you unless you have constantly been standing over him (demanding it). That is because they said, "Not upon us, in regard to the [exploitation of] the unlettered, a [restricted] way." And they say about God untruth while they know [the truth].

Quote:
{3:76} But yes, whoever fulfills his commitment and fears God - then indeed, God loves those who fear Him.

I suggest,
{3:76} Nay, whoever fulfills his commitment and watches out [for God], then verily, God loves the watchful [of Him].

Quote:
{3:77} Indeed, those who exchange the covenant of God and their [own] oaths for a small price will have no share in the Hereafter, and God will not speak to them or look at them on the Day of Resurrection, nor will He purify them; and they will have a painful punishment.

I suggest,
{3:77} Verily, those who purchase with the pledge to God and their [own] oaths a little price, those - no share is there for them in the Hereafter, and God does not speak to them nor look at them on the Day of Resurrection, nor favorably mentions them; and for them is a painful torment.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 09:11 

Linguistic wrote:
they are not prevented from exploiting the Gentiles. So, a better translation of that sentence, IMHO, would be, "That is because they said, 'We have no restriction regarding the unlettered.'

Should it be gentile, unlettered, or illiterate?

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 19:12 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Should it be gentile, unlettered, or illiterate?

IMHO, it should be unlettered. That's because gentile means non-Jewish, but the word God uses means people who could not read or write. The Arabs were superbly literate. They just couldn't read or write, most of them!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 12:32 

Linguistic wrote:
The Arabs were superbly literate. They just couldn't read or write, most of them!

Your post made me look into this. Indeed, literate describes someone who is familiar with literature / literary. It does seem though that illiterate means primarily someone who does not read or write. Hence someone can be literate and illiterate :). I recommend using illiterate here because it universally carries the meaning to people. I honestly never heard of unlettered before.