TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 4:123-124
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 05:19 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 4:123-124
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 15:25 
Site Admin

Quote:
{4:123} Paradise is not [obtained] by your wishful thinking nor by that of the People of the Scripture. Whoever does a wrong will be recompensed for it, and he will not find besides God a protector or a helper.

This verse is another fascinating Arabic construct! The first sentence does not name the subject but the following sentence implicitly does. Literally, the first sentence reads, "Not by your wishes nor by the wishes of the people of the Book." The translators addition of "Paradise is not obtained by..." is therefore an interpretation. IMHO, the subject of this sentence has been specified in the following one as an answer to a question, "Will my wishful thinking about God work? If I do what I think is right, but may not be what God accepts, will I still go to heaven?"

I suggest to leave this unique style as is, i.e.,

{4:123} It is not by your wishes nor by the wishes of the People of the Book. Whoever does a wrong is recompensed for it, and he [will] not find besides God an ally nor a helper.

Quote:
{4:124} And whoever does righteous deeds, whether male or female, while being a believer - those will enter Paradise and will not be wronged, [even as much as] the speck on a date seed.

I suggest,
{4:124} And whoever does of the righteous [deeds], whether male or female, while being a believer - then those enter the Garden and are not wronged [even as much as] a speck on a date pit.