TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 6:7-11
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 09:36 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 6:7-11
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 20:32 
Site Admin

Quote:
{6:7} And even if We had sent down to you, [O Muhammad], a written scripture on a page and they touched it with their hands, the disbelievers would say, "This is not but obvious magic."

I suggest,
{6:7} And even if We had sent down to you [, O Muhammad,] a book on paper such that they touched it with their hands, the disbelievers would say, "This is not but obvious magic."

Quote:
{6:8} And they say, "Why was there not sent down to him an angel?" But if We had sent down an angel, the matter would have been decided; then they would not be reprieved.

I'd only explain what the matter is. Angels are usually sent by God to the earth in order to carry out a termination command from God, such as the destruction of a township for its rejection of God's message. So, I suggest,

{6:8} And they say, "If only an angel was sent down upon him!" But if We had sent down an angel, the matter (decree of God) would have been decided; then they would not be reprieved.

Quote:
{6:9} And if We had made him an angel, We would have made him [appear as] a man, and We would have covered them with that in which they cover themselves.

The italicized words are erroneous. The Arabic verb does not mean "to cover" but "to confuse". All four of the alternative translations so understood. I suggest then,

{6:9} And if We had made him an angel, We would have made him [look like] a man, and [thus] confuse them [even more than] what they confuse.

Quote:
{6:10} And already were messengers ridiculed before you, but those who mocked them were enveloped by that which they used to ridicule.

I suggest,
{6:10} And certainly already were messengers ridiculed before you, then beset those who mocked them what they had been thereof ridiculing.

Quote:
{6:11} Say, "Travel through the land; then observe how was the end of the deniers."

I suggest,
{6:11} Say, "Walk through the land; then look how was the sequel of the belying."