TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 6:97-99
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 09:26 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 6:97-99
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 03:48 
Site Admin

Quote:
{6:97} And it is He who placed for you the stars that you may be guided by them through the darknesses of the land and sea. We have detailed the signs for a people who know.

I suggest,
{6:97} And it is He who set up for you the stars that you may find direction thereby in the darknesses of shore and sea. We have certainly detailed the signs for a folk who know.

Quote:
{6:98} And it is He who produced you from one soul and [gave you] a place of dwelling and of storage. We have detailed the signs for a people who understand.

I think only Sarwar got مستقر ومستودع correctly. This verse starts out with the single origin of all humanity, Adam. It then tells us that some of Adam's seeds have settled down, i.e., been born and lived on earth but other are yet to settle and are therefore still deposited in the backbones of people, namely parents. What supports this understanding is,

So, I suggest,
{6:98} And it is He who initiated you from one soul; then [some have been ordained to] a place of settlement and [other to] a depository (yet to settle). We have certainly detailed the signs for a folk who comprehend.

Quote:
{6:99} And it is He who sends down rain from the sky, and We produce thereby the growth of all things. We produce from it greenery from which We produce grains arranged in layers. And from the palm trees - of its emerging fruit are clusters hanging low. And [We produce] gardens of grapevines and olives and pomegranates, similar yet varied. Look at [each of] its fruit when it yields and [at] its ripening. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe.

A good translation, but I really like Asad's translation of the last two sentences. He put them this way, "Behold their fruit when it comes to fruition and ripens! Verily, in all this there are messages indeed for people who will believe!"

So, I suggest,
{6:99} And it is He who has sent down from the sky water, then We produced thereby the growth of everything. Then We produced from it greenery from which We produced layering grains. And from the palm trees - of their emerging fruit are clusters hanging low. And [We produced] gardens of grapevines, the olives and the pomegranates, seeming alike and [yet] not similar. Behold its fruit as it comes to fruition and its ripening! Verily, in that for you surely are signs for a folk who believe.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 08:17 

Linguistic wrote:
I think only Sarwar got مستقر ومستودع correctly. This verse starts out with the single origin of all humanity, Adam. It then tells us that some of Adam's seeds have settled down, i.e., been born and lived on earth but other are yet to settle and are therefore still deposited in the backbones of people, namely parents.

This is an interesting case since one interpretation is not more compelling than the other. The other translations are all over the place here, mainly because مستودع can mean a place to deposit something or a place to say goodbye. I am inclined to think that the latter is the more compelling meaning because of the contrast with مستقر but I don't think there is a conclusive argument for either interpretation.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 20:06 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
This is an interesting case since one interpretation is not more compelling than the other. The other translations are all over the place here, mainly because مستودع can mean a place to deposit something or a place to say goodbye. I am inclined to think that the latter is the more compelling meaning because of the contrast with مستقر but I don't think there is a conclusive argument for either interpretation.

I looked at the exegesis of Ibn Katheer. He quoted Abdullah ibn Masood, may God have been pleased with him, saying that مستقر is the wombs and مستودع is the backbones. And agreeing with him is a host of scholars. Ibn Katheer quoted a few scholars with different opinions but said they are in the minority. Indeed, the preface of the verse would mean little if the interpretation of مستقر ومستودع is "life and death" or "above the earth and below it" or "this life and the Hereafter."