TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 9:46-47
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 08:38 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 9:46-47
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 18:26 
Site Admin

Quote:
{9:46} And if they had intended to go forth, they would have prepared for it [some] preparation. But God disliked their being sent, so He kept them back, and they were told, "Remain [behind] with those who remain."

I suggest,
{9:46} And if they had intended a going out, they would have prepared for it [some] gear. But God disliked their discharge, so He suppressed them, and it was said, "Sit with the sitters!"

Quote:
{9:47} Had they gone forth with you, they would not have increased you except in confusion, and they would have been active among you, seeking [to cause] you fitnah. And among you are avid listeners to them. And God is Knowing of the wrongdoers.

I suggest,
{9:47} Had they gone out among you, they would not have added to you but confusion, and they would have sowed among you, desiring for you sedition. And among you are avid listeners to them. And God is very knowledgeable of the wrongdoers.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 20:01 

In your translation of 9:46, I would use something other than "discharge" since that is taken in modern times as being let go from an army. I am thinking "launch" but not quite.

In your translation of 9:47, I would add a comma before "desiring" to make the sentence easier to follow.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 23:34 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
In your translation of 9:46, I would use something other than "discharge" since that is taken in modern times as being let go from an army. I am thinking "launch" but not quite.

How about send-off?

Quote:
In your translation of 9:47, I would add a comma before "desiring" to make the sentence easier to follow.

Corrected. Thanks.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 02:31 

Linguistic wrote:
Pragmatic wrote:

How about send-off?

Cool, and linguistic. :)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 04:09 
Site Admin

Then we suggest,
{9:46} And if they had intended a going out, they would have prepared for it [some] gear. But God disliked their send-off, so He suppressed them, and it was said, "Sit with the sitters!"

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 06:39 

Linguistic wrote:
Then we suggest,
{9:46} And if they had intended a going out, they would have prepared for it [some] gear. But God disliked their send-off, so He suppressed them, and it was said, "Sit with the sitters!"

One last remark. I think "If they intended to go out" would be an accurate, and easier to read, translation.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 14:05 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
Then we suggest,

One last remark. I think "If they intended to go out" would be an accurate, and easier to read, translation.

I agree but it would be a translation of ولو أنهم أرادوا أن يخرجوا which is not the text we have. How about a simple,

{9:46} And if they had intended going out, they would have prepared for it [some] gear. But God disliked their send-off, so He suppressed them, and it was said, "Sit with the sitters!"

I do like "if they had intended" because it translated لو أرادوا, whereas "if they intended" would be a translation of إن أرادوا.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 19:19 

Linguistic wrote:
How about a simple,

{9:46} And if they had intended going out, they would have prepared for it [some] gear. But God disliked their send-off, so He suppressed them, and it was said, "Sit with the sitters!"

I do like "if they had intended" because it translated لو أرادوا, whereas "if they intended" would be a translation of إن أرادوا.

This works nicely, and I agree about the past perfect (I just forgot to write "had" in my post).