TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Verses 85:17-22
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 05:46 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2009, 14:16
Posts: 1994
Go to previous segment   Go to next segment


Suggested translation1,2:


-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 85:17-22
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 04:37 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4534
Location: USA
Quote:
{85:21} But this is an honored Quran

I suggest,
{85:21} But it is a glorious Quran.

Quote:
{85:22} [Inscribed] in a Preserved Slate.

I suggest,
{85:22} [Inscribed] in a Tablet Preserved.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 85:17-22
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 04:21 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1838
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{85:21} But this is an honored Quran
I suggest,
{85:21} But it is a glorious Quran.
Agreed.

Quote:
Quote:
{85:22} [Inscribed] in a Preserved Slate.
I suggest,
{85:22} [Inscribed] in a Tablet Preserved.
According to the tashkeel of the Arabic word, "preserved" is an adjective of "Tablet" not of "Quran" so the order of the wording in English should be "preserved tablet."

As for capitalization, I don't see why there should be any in this case. The Arabic words are even indefinite here, so it is a leap of interpretation to make them capitalized.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 85:17-22
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 15:40 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4534
Location: USA
Pragmatic wrote:
According to the tashkeel of the Arabic word, "preserved" is an adjective of "Tablet" not of "Quran" so the order of the wording in English should be "preserved tablet."

As for capitalization, I don't see why there should be any in this case. The Arabic words are even indefinite here, so it is a leap of interpretation to make them capitalized.

I agree with both points, let's make it:
{85:22} [Inscribed] in a preserved tablet.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently 02 Mar 2021, 13:43

All times are UTC

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group