TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 7:13-18
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 09:15 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 7:13-18
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 04:50 
Site Admin

Quote:
{7:13} [God] said, "Descend from Paradise, for it is not for you to be arrogant therein. So get out; indeed, you are of the debased."

It is not a given that this conversation took place in Paradise. I suggest,
{7:13} [God] said, "Then land down from it (heaven), for it is not for you to arrogate in it. So, get out; verily, you are of the petty."

Thanks to Irving for his excellent translation of الصاغرين as "the petty!" The Arabic word is derived from a root that means "small", therefore "petty" conveys that meaning closely.

Quote:
{7:14} [Satan] said, "Reprieve me until the Day they are resurrected."

I suggest,
{7:14} [Satan] said, "Reprieve me till the Day they are sent off (resurrected)."

Quote:
{7:15} [God] said, "Indeed, you are of those reprieved."

I suggest,
{7:15} [God] said, "Verily, you are of those reprieved."

Quote:
{7:16} [Satan] said, "Because You have put me in error, I will surely sit in wait for them on Your straight path.

I suggest,
{7:16} [Satan] said, "So, because You lead me on, I will surely sit for them [on] Your straight path."

Quote:
{7:17} Then I will come to them from before them and from behind them and on their right and on their left, and You will not find most of them grateful [to You]."

I suggest,
{7:17} [Satan continued saying to God,] "And then I will surely come to them from between their hands (before them), from behind them, at their right-sides and at their left-sides, and You will surely not find most of them thankful [to You]."

Quote:
{7:18} [God] said, "Get out of Paradise, reproached and expelled. Whoever follows you among them - I will surely fill Hell with you, all together."

Again, Paradise is not explicitly mentioned, thus using it in the translation is an interpretation. I suggest,

{7:18} [God] said, "Get out of it (heaven), scorned, banished. Then whoever has followed you among them - I will surely fill Gehenna (Hell) with you, all and all."

Post subject: Re: Verses 7:13-18
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 08:24 

Linguistic wrote:
{7:16} [Satan] said, "So, because You lead me on, I will surely sit for them [on] Your straight path."

Nice.