TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 7:50-51
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 09:11 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 7:50-51
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 22:16 
Site Admin

Quote:
{7:50} And the companions of the Fire will call to the companions of Paradise, "Pour upon us some water or from whatever God has provided you." They will say, "Indeed, God has forbidden them both to the disbelievers."

I suggest,
{7:50} And would call out the inmates of the Fire to the fellows of the Garden, "Pour out upon us from the water or from what God has provided you." They would say, "Verily, God has forbidden them both to the disbelievers."

Quote:
{7:51} Who took their religion as distraction and amusement and whom the worldly life deluded. So today We will forget them just as they forgot the meeting of this Day of theirs and for having rejected Our verses.

I suggest,
{7:51} Who took their religion as distraction and play and whom the nearest life has tempted. So today We will forget them just as they forgot the meeting of this Day of theirs and for having rejected Our signs.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 06:11 

Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{7:51} Who took their religion as distraction and amusement and whom the worldly life deluded. So today We will forget them just as they forgot the meeting of this Day of theirs and for having rejected Our verses.

I suggest,
{7:51} Who took their religion as distraction and play and whom the nearest life has tempted. So today We will forget them just as they forgot the meeting of this Day of theirs and for having rejected Our signs.

Perhaps an explanation that "nearest life" means worldly life is called for, since the Arabic word is universally used in that sense.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 21:54 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Perhaps an explanation that "nearest life" means worldly life is called for, since the Arabic word is universally used in that sense.

I agree. How about "[this] nearest life"?

If you agree, then I suggest,
{7:51} "Who took their religion as distraction and play and whom [this] the nearest life has deluded." So today We forget them just as they forgot the meeting of this Day of theirs and because they have been, of Our signs, disavowing.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 03:59 

Linguistic wrote:
Pragmatic wrote:

I agree. How about "[this] nearest life"?

Yes, this is a good idea.