TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 7:134-137
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 09:04 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 7:134-137
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 04:25 
Site Admin

Quote:
{7:134} And when the punishment descended upon them, they said, "O Moses, invoke for us your Lord by what He has promised you. If you [can] remove the punishment from us, we will surely believe you, and we will send with you the Children of Israel."

I don't agree with the interjection "[can]" . I suggest something more straightforward,

{7:134} And when the scourge fell upon them, they said, "O Moses, call for us to your Lord by what He has entrusted to you: If you would remove the scourge from us, we will surely trust in you and we will surely send with you the Children of Israel."

Quote:
{7:135} But when We removed the punishment from them until a term which they were to reach, then at once they broke their word.

I suggest,
{7:135} But when We uncovered from upon them the scourge until a term they were reaching, all of a sudden they renege.

Quote:
{7:136} So We took retribution from them, and We drowned them in the sea because they denied Our signs and were heedless of them.

I suggest,
{7:136} So We revenged from them, and We drowned them in the waterway because they belied Our signs and were of them heedless.

Quote:
{7:137} And We caused the people who had been oppressed to inherit the eastern regions of the land and the western ones, which We had blessed. And the good word of your Lord was fulfilled for the Children of Israel because of what they had patiently endured. And We destroyed [all] that Pharaoh and his people were producing and what they had been building.

I suggest,
{7:137} And We legated to the folk who had been regarded weak the eastern regions of the land and its western ones, which We had blessed therein. And was fulfilled the finest word of your Lord upon the Children of Israel because they endured. And We annihilated what Pharaoh and his people had been devising and what they had been trellising.