TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 72:13-18
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 07:36 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 72:13-18
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 03:52 
Site Admin

Quote:
{72:13} And when we heard the guidance, we believed in it. And whoever believes in his Lord will not fear deprivation or burden.

Excellent translation, but it skips أنّا which means "that we." I suggest,
{72:13} "And that when we heard the guidance, we believed in it. And whoever believes in his Lord then he would not fear deprivation nor burden."

Quote:
{72:14} And among us are Muslims [in submission to God], and among us are the unjust. And whoever has become Muslim - those have sought out the right course.

I suggest,
{72:14} "And among us are Muslims and among us are the iniquitous. And whoever has become Muslim - then those have pursued forthrightness."

Quote:
{72:15} But as for the unjust, they will be, for Hell, firewood.'

I suggest,
{72:15} "But as for the iniquitous, they have been, for Gehenna (Hell), firewood."

Quote:
{72:16} And [God revealed] that if they had remained straight on the way, We would have given them abundant provision

While "abundant provision" is what is meant by ماء غدقا, the words mean "abundant water." I suggest,

{72:16} And [God revealed] that if they had remained straight on the modus, We would have poured them abundant water.

Quote:
{72:17} So We might test them therein. And whoever turns away from the remembrance of his Lord He will put into arduous punishment.

Pickthall caught the significance of صعدا. I suggest,
{72:17} In order that We test them therein. And whoever turns aside from the remembrance of his Lord, He thrusts him into ever-growing torment.

Quote:
{72:18} And [He revealed] that the mosques are for God, so do not invoke with God anyone.

Excellent translation.