TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 6:158-160
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 09:19 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 6:158-160
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 03:15 
Site Admin

Quote:
{6:158} Do they [then] wait for anything except that the angels should come to them or your Lord should come or that there come some of the signs of your Lord? The Day that some of the signs of your Lord will come no soul will benefit from its faith as long as it had not believed before or had earned through its faith some good. Say, "Wait. Indeed, we [also] are waiting."

I suggest,
{6:158} Do they look [for aught] except that there come to them the angels, or there comes your Lord or there come some of the signs of your Lord? The day [when] there come some signs of your Lord - it will not benefit a soul its faith [which] had not believed before or earned through its faith [some] good. Say, "Wait. Verily, we [too] are waiting."

Quote:
{6:159} Indeed, those who have divided their religion and become sects - you, [O Muhammad], are not [associated] with them in anything. Their affair is only [left] to God; then He will inform them about what they used to do.

I like Yusuf Ali's choice of words. I suggest,
{6:159} Verily, those who divided their religion and became sects - you are not part of them in anything. Verily, their matter is [left] only to God; then He informs them of what they have been doing.

Quote:
{6:160} Whoever comes [on the Day of Judgement] with a good deed will have ten times the like thereof [to his credit], and whoever comes with an evil deed will not be recompensed except the like thereof; and they will not be wronged.

I suggest,
{6:160} Whoever has come [on Judgment Day] with the good deed, then for him is ten times the like thereof, and whoever has come with the misdeed, then he is not recompensed except the like thereof; and they are not wronged.