TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 6:31-32
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 09:34 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 6:31-32
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 03:30 
Site Admin

Quote:
{6:31} Those will have lost who deny the meeting with God, until when the Hour [of resurrection] comes upon them unexpectedly, they will say, "Oh, [how great is] our regret over what we neglected concerning it," while they bear their burdens on their backs. Unquestionably, evil is that which they bear.

I suggest,
{6:31} They did lose - those who belied the meeting with God. Until when has come upon them the Hour [of resurrection] abruptly, they would say, "Oh, [how great is] our regret over what we neglected concerning it," while they carry their burdens on their backs. Lo!, vile has been what they encumber.

Quote:
{6:32} And the worldly life is not but amusement and diversion; but the home of the Hereafter is best for those who fear God, so will you not reason?

The translation "the home of the Hereafter" would be correct if the Arabic said لدار الآخرة but the Arabic says للدار الآخرة which means "Indeed, the latter home..."

I suggest,
{6:32} And the worldly life is not but play and diversion; but the Latter Home (the Hereafter) is better for those who watch out [for God], so will you not reason?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 06:58 

Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{6:32} And the worldly life is not but amusement and diversion; but the home of the Hereafter is best for those who fear God, so will you not reason?

The translation "the home of the Hereafter" would be correct if the Arabic said لدار الآخرة but the Arabic says للدار الآخرة which means "Indeed, the latter home..."

I suggest,
{6:32} And the worldly life is not but play and diversion; but the Latter Home (the Hereafter) is better for those who watch out [for God], so will you not reason?

There maybe a problem with "latter" since my understanding is that it is a reference to the last of two things that have just been mentioned. I would use the final home.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 15:26 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
There maybe a problem with "latter" since my understanding is that it is a reference to the last of two things that have just been mentioned. I would use the final home.

Yes, that's much better. I recall fellow member Poetic translating اليوم الآخر as "the final day" and I recall liking that translation very much. So, let's translate 6:32 as,

{6:32} And [this] the nearest life is not but play and distraction; but surely the Final Home (the Hereafter) is better for those who watch out [for God], do you then not reason?