TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 6:80-83
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 09:28 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 6:80-83
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 05:54 
Site Admin

Quote:
{6:80} And his people argued with him. He said, "Do you argue with me concerning God while He has guided me? And I fear not what you associate with Him [and will not be harmed] unless my Lord should will something. My Lord encompasses all things in knowledge; then will you not remember?"

Change "fear not" to "do not fear".

I suggest,
{6:80} And his people argued with him. He said, "Do you argue with me concerning God while He has guided me? And I do not fear what you associate with Him [in worship, and will not be harmed] unless my Lord should will something. My Lord has encompassed everything in knowledge. Do you not then remember?"

Quote:
{6:81} "And how should I fear what you associate while you do not fear that you have associated with God that for which He has not sent down to you any authority? So which of the two parties has more right to security, if you should know?"

Excellent translation. I'd only say "And how do I fear" instead of "And how should I fear."

I suggest,
{6:81} "And how do I fear what you associate [with God in worship] while you do not fear that you have associated with God that for which He has not sent down to you any authority? So which of the two teams has more right to security, if you should know?"

Quote:
{6:82} They who believe and do not mix their belief with injustice - those will have security, and they are [rightly] guided.

The interjection "rightly" is unnecessary, even redundant.

I suggest,
{6:82} They who have believed and have not confused their belief with injustice, those - for them is security, and they are guided.

Quote:
{6:83} And that was Our [conclusive] argument which We gave Abraham against his people. We raise by degrees whom We will. Indeed, your Lord is Wise and Knowing.

I suggest,
{6:83} And that was Our argument We granted Abraham against his people. We raise by ranks whom We will. Verily, your Lord is Wise, All-Knowing.