TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 6:152-153
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 09:19 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 6:152-153
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 18:26 
Site Admin

Quote:
{6:152} And do not approach the orphan's property except in a way that is best until he reaches maturity. And give full measure and weight in justice. We do not charge any soul except [with that within] its capacity. And when you testify, be just, even if [it concerns] a near relative. And the covenant of God fulfill. This has He instructed you that you may remember.

I suggest,
{6:152} And do not approach the property of the orphan, except in the manner that is most benevolent, until he reaches his most robust [state] (majority age). And fulfill measure and weight in equity. We do not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity. And when you have said [anything], then be just, even if [it concerns] a near relative. And the pledge to God fulfill. That for you, He has commended to you thereby that perhaps you might remember.

Quote:
{6:153} And, [moreover], this is My path, which is straight, so follow it; and do not follow [other] ways, for you will be separated from His way. This has He instructed you that you may become righteous.

I don't quite see the necessity of the interjection "moreover."

I suggest,
{6:153} And that this is My Path, straight, so follow it. And do not follow [other] paths, for they would separate you from His Path. That for you, He has commended to you thereby that perhaps you may watch out [for Him].

Post subject: Re: Verses 6:152-153
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 13:15 

Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{6:153} And that this is My Path, straight, so follow it. And do not follow [other] paths, for they would separate you from His Path. That for you, He has commended to you thereby that perhaps you may watch out [for Him].

For a change, I agree with the capitalization of "Path" in this case. :)