TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verse 5:3
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 05:12 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verse 5:3
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 04:38 
Site Admin

Quote:
{5:3} Prohibited to you are dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than God, and [those animals] killed by strangling or by a violent blow or by a head-long fall or by the goring of horns, and those from which a wild animal has eaten, except what you [are able to] slaughter [before its death], and those which are sacrificed on stone altars, and [prohibited is] that you seek decision through divining arrows. That is grave disobedience. This day those who disbelieve have despaired of [defeating] your religion; so fear them not, but fear Me. This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. But whoever is forced by severe hunger with no inclination to sin - then indeed, God is Forgiving and Merciful.

Asad explained best the italicized clause ( إلا ماذكيتم ). He translated it "save that which you [yourselves] may have slaughtered while it was still alive." The original meaning of the verb ذكى is to cause something to be hot or brilliant. Used with animals, the Arabs used it to mean slaughter. I suggest for this clause, "except what you slaughtered [before the wild beast ate from it]".

N.B. This is the last verse revealed of the Quran :)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 18:36 

Why "This day" not "Today"?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 22:19 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Why "This day" not "Today"?

You are right. "This day" would be a translation of هذا اليوم. I suggest,

{5:3} Prohibited to you are dead animals, blood, the meat of swine, and what was exulted for other than God thereby, and the [animal] suffocating, the [animal] pounded, the [animal] crashing down and the [animal] gored, and what the canine ate [from] - except what you have seared - and [also prohibited is] what was slaughtered on the altar, and that you decide division through divining arrows. That for you is deviance. Today have despaired those who have disbelieved of your religion; so do not fear them, but fear Me. Today I have completed for you your religion, culminated upon you My favor and approved for you Islam as religion. But whoever was forced by famine, not inclining to sin - then verily, God is much Forgiving, Merciful.