TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Verses 4:26-28
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 05:31 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2009, 14:16
Posts: 1994
Go to previous segment   Go to next segment


Suggested translation1,2:


-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 4:26-28
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 17:02 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4494
Location: USA
Quote:
{4:27} God wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow [their] passions want you to digress [into] a great deviation.

I suggest,
{4:27} God wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow lusts want you to swing a great swinging.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 4:26-28
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 09:37 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1831
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{4:27} God wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow [their] passions want you to digress [into] a great deviation.

I suggest,
{4:27} God wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow lusts want you to swing a great swinging.

I think that it is challenging to translate the Arabic construct "Almaf`ool Almutlaq." Repeating the word does not capture the meaning, and it sounds awkward.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 4:26-28
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 13:56 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4494
Location: USA
Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{4:27} God wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow lusts want you to swing a great swinging.

I think that it is challenging to translate the Arabic construct "Almaf`ool Almutlaq." Repeating the word does not capture the meaning, and it sounds awkward.

Yes, I agree. How about,
{4:27} God wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow lusts want you to make a tremendous swing.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 4:26-28
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 05:01 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1831
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
How about,
{4:27} God wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow lusts want you to make a tremendous swing.

Better. Since we are giving up on repeating the word, I would keep the verb instead of the object. I suggest the following as a general rule

1. Use the adverb version of the adjective that qualifies المفعول المطلق if there is such an adjective. In this case it would be "to swing tremendously."

2. When there is no adjective, just use an emphasis. In this case, if "tremendous" wasn't in the Arabic text, the translation would be "to indeed swing"

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 4:26-28
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 01:17 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4494
Location: USA
Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
How about,
{4:27} God wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow lusts want you to make a tremendous swing.

Better. Since we are giving up on repeating the word, I would keep the verb instead of the object. I suggest the following as a general rule

1. Use the adverb version of the adjective that qualifies المفعول المطلق if there is such an adjective. In this case it would be "to swing tremendously."

I like this idea.

Pragmatic wrote:
2. When there is no adjective, just use an emphasis. In this case, if "tremendous" wasn't in the Arabic text, the translation would be "to indeed swing"

This one I don't agree with because it loses the translation of عظيما. "To indeed swing" would be a reasonable translation of تميلوا ميلا but not تميلوا ميلا عظيما.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 4:26-28
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 06:23 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1831
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
2. When there is no adjective, just use an emphasis. In this case, if "tremendous" wasn't in the Arabic text, the translation would be "to indeed swing"

This one I don't agree with because it loses the translation of عظيما. "To indeed swing" would be a reasonable translation of تميلوا ميلا but not تميلوا ميلا عظيما.

We are in agreement :). I think you just misunderstood me. I was talking about the case when there is no adjective, which would be precisely the case of تميلوا ميلا.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 4:26-28
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 13:45 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4494
Location: USA
Pragmatic wrote:
I think you just misunderstood me. I was talking about the case when there is no adjective, which would be precisely the case of تميلوا ميلا.

My bad.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Suggested translation
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 22:14 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4494
Location: USA
{4:26} God wants to clarify to you [the lawful from the unlawful], guide you to the [good] practices of those before you and to accept your repentance. And God is All-Knowing, Wise.

{4:27} God wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow lusts want you to swing quite a tremendous swing.

{4:28} And God wants to assuage for you [your austerity]; and man was created weak.

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 15:45

All times are UTC

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group