TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verse 4:43
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 05:29 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verse 4:43
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 15:00 
Site Admin

Quote:
{4:43} O you who have believed, do not approach prayer while you are intoxicated until you know what you are saying or in a state of janabah [after sexual relationship], except those passing through [a place of prayer], until you have washed [your whole body]. And if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from the place of relieving himself or you have contacted women and find no water, then seek clean earth and wipe over your faces and your hands [with it]. Indeed, God is ever Pardoning and Forgiving.

I see no good reason to transliterate as in the first italicized phrase. Furthermore, the interjection that follows is not entirely accurate. I suggest instead,

{4:43} O you who have believed, do not approach prayer while you are intoxicated until you know what you are saying, nor while you are [supposed to be] away [from people] (because of being soiled with ejaculation) except those passing through, until you have bathed. And if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from a rest area or you have mated with women and find no water, then seek clean earth and wipe over your faces and your hands [with it]. Verily, God is ever Pardoning and Forgiving.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 09:17 

Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{4:43} O you who have believed, do not approach prayer while you are intoxicated until you know what you are saying or in a state of janabah [after sexual relationship], except those passing through [a place of prayer], until you have washed [your whole body]. And if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from the place of relieving himself or you have contacted women and find no water, then seek clean earth and wipe over your faces and your hands [with it]. Indeed, God is ever Pardoning and Forgiving.

I see no good reason to transliterate as in the first italicized phrase. Furthermore, the interjection that follows is not entirely accurate. I suggest instead,

{4:43} O you who have believed, do not approach prayer while you are intoxicated until you know what you are saying, nor while you are [supposed to be] away [from people] (because of being soiled with ejaculation) except those passing through, until you have bathed. And if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from a rest area or you have mated with women and find no water, then seek clean earth and wipe over your faces and your hands [with it]. Verily, God is ever Pardoning and Forgiving.

OK, this is a tough one. I think "while you are [supposed to be] away [from people]" is an overkill. This is one case where I would accept a transliteration followed by an explanation, but a correct one. Perhaps

in a state of janabah (after ejaculation)

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 01:34 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
OK, this is a tough one. I think "while you are [supposed to be] away [from people]" is an overkill. This is one case where I would accept a transliteration followed by an explanation, but a correct one. Perhaps: "in a state of janabah (after ejaculation)"

I just don't want any transliteration if at all possible. جُنُب means "farther out". Consider,

There you have the word used for the neighbor who is not immediately next to one's house, i.e., separated, isolated, etc. Therefore, it can be translated and if any word can be translated, it should not be transliterated.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 06:32 

Linguistic wrote:
Pragmatic wrote:
OK, this is a tough one. I think "while you are [supposed to be] away [from people]" is an overkill. This is one case where I would accept a transliteration followed by an explanation, but a correct one. Perhaps: "in a state of janabah (after ejaculation)"

I just don't want any transliteration if at all possible. جُنُب means "farther out".

I agree on both counts, but we need to have a good translation of what جُنُب means in this verse. If we can't, I prefer transliteration with explanation to a strange-sounding translation.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 19:49 
Site Admin

OK, let me suggest this translation then,

{4:43} O you who have believed, do not approach prayer while you are intoxicated until you know what you are saying, nor while [you are supposed to be] isolated (because of being soiled with ejaculation) except those passing through, until you have bathed. And if you have been ill or on a journey or one of you comes from the deep ditch (rest area) or you have exchanged caresses with the wives then did not find water, then head for a pleasant upland (clean earth) and wipe over your faces and your hands [with it]. Verily, God is ever much Pardoning, much Forgiving.