TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 4:104-106
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 05:21 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 4:104-106
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 15:30 
Site Admin

Quote:
{4:104} And do not weaken in pursuit of the enemy. If you should be suffering - so are they suffering as you are suffering, but you expect from God that which they expect not. And God is ever Knowing and Wise.

Only a minor comment in that I like to use modern English and say "do not expect" instead of "expect not."

I suggest,
{4:104} And do not wane in the pursuit of the [enemy] folk. If you should be suffering - so are they suffering as you are suffering, but you expect from God what they do not expect. And God has ever been All-Knowing, Wise.

Quote:
{4:105} Indeed, We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth so you may judge between the people by that which God has shown you. And do not be for the deceitful an advocate.

I suggest,
{4:105} Verily, We have sent down to you [, O Muhammad,] the Book in truth so you may judge between the people by what God has shown you. And do not be for the traitors an advocate.

Quote:
{4:106} And seek forgiveness of God. Indeed, God is ever Forgiving and Merciful.

I suggest,
{4:106} And seek forgiveness of God. Verily, God has ever been much Forgiving, Merciful.