TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 4:127-130
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 05:18 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 4:127-130
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 16:18 
Site Admin

Quote:
{4:127} And they request from you, [O Muhammad], a [legal] ruling concerning women. Say, "God gives you a ruling about them and [about] what has been recited to you in the Book concerning the orphan girls to whom you do not give what is decreed for them - and [yet] you desire to marry them - and concerning the oppressed among children and that you maintain for orphans [their rights] in justice." And whatever you do of good - indeed, God is ever Knowing of it.

This translation as well as the alternative ones all seem to not finish the sentence! The verse states that God gives a ruling but the translation does not say what it is.

The issue in question is whether a man who has been sponsoring an orphan girl is obligated to give the girl her due property when she reaches the age of majority, even if he wants to marry her and by doing so becomes responsible for her financial support. The following sentence answers that question in the affirmative.

Therefore, I suggest,
{4:127} And they ask you [, O Muhammad,] for a [legal] ruling concerning women. Say, "God rules for you about them. And [Remember] what is recited to you in the Book concerning the orphans among women to whom you do not grant what is decreed for them and (because) you desire to marry them and [remember what is recited to you] concerning the deemed weak among children. [Remember] that you [must] uphold for orphans [their rights] with equity." And whatever you do of good - then verily, God is of it All-Knowing.

Quote:
{4:128} And if a woman fears from her husband contempt or evasion, it is not sin upon them if they make terms of settlement between them - and settlement is best. And present in [human] souls is stinginess. But if you do good and fear God - then indeed God is ever, with what you do, Acquainted.

I suggest,
{4:128} And if a woman has feared from her husband detachment or evasion, it is not a violation by them if they make amends between them [for] conciliation. And reconciliation is good. And made present [during reconciliation] are the stingy souls. And if you do good and watch out [for God] - then verily, God has ever been, of what you do, All-Aware.

Quote:
{4:129} And you will never be able to be equal [in feeling] between wives, even if you should strive [to do so]. So do not incline completely [toward one] and leave another hanging. And if you amend [your affairs] and fear God - then indeed, God is ever Forgiving and Merciful.

The interjection "in feeling" is an opinion. Furthermore, this translation assumes that the verse is talking about two women, one is inclined to and another left hanging. The Arabic does not support either. I suggest,

{4:129} And you will never be able to deal equally between women, even if you have tried carefully [to do so]. So do not incline the whole inclination [away from a wife] that you leave her as if suspended. And if you reconcile and watch out [for God] - then verily, God is much Forgiving, Merciful.

Quote:
{4:130} But if they separate [by divorce], God will enrich each [of them] from His abundance. And ever is God Encompassing and Wise.

I suggest,
{4:130} But if they have separated [by divorce], God [will] enrich each [of them] from His capacity. And ever has God been Capacious, Wise.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 21:53 

Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{4:129} And you will never be able to deal equally between women, even if you have tried carefully [to do so]. So do not incline the whole inclination [away from a wife] that you leave her as if suspended. And if you reconcile and watch out [for God] - then verily, God is much Forgiving, Merciful.

Excellent translation!

This brings me to my 200th post on the last day of Ramadan. :)

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 14:20 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Excellent translation!

This brings me to my 200th post on the last day of Ramadan. :)

Hey, you're catching up to me fast :) Thanks for the compliment.