TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 4:156-159
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 05:15 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 4:156-159
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 17:03 
Site Admin

Quote:
{4:156} And [We cursed them] for their disbelief and their saying against Mary a great slander,

I suggest,
{4:156} And [We cursed them] because of their disbelief and their saying against Mary a tremendous slander,

Quote:
{4:157} And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of God." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

"But another was made to resemble him to them" is an interpretation. The Arabic simply says, "but it was made to look [that way] to them."

الظن does not mean assumption, it means conjecture.

I suggest,
{4:157} And [for] their saying, "Verily, we killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of God." But they did not kill him, and they did not crucify him; but it was made to look [that way] to them. And verily, those who differ over it surely are in doubt about it. There is not for them of it any knowledge except pursuit of conjecture. And they did not kill him, for certain.

Quote:
{4:158} Rather, God raised him to Himself. And ever is God Exalted in Might and Wise.

I suggest,
{4:158} Rather, God raised him to Himself. And ever has God been Almighty, Wise.

Quote:
{4:159} And there is none from the People of the Scripture but that he will surely believe in Jesus before his death. And on the Day of Resurrection he will be against them a witness.

The name of Jesus, peace be upon him, does not appear in this particular verse, though he is the one referred to in it. I suggest an explanatory note, i.e., "but he will surely believe in him (Jesus) before his death."

{4:159} And there is none from the People of the Book but will surely believe in him (Jesus) before his death. And [on] the Day of Resurrection he is upon them a witness.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 21:30 

Linguistic wrote:

Another interesting word to translate. It lies somewhere between belief and conjecture. Suspicion and speculation are also possibilities. I see why they resorted to assumption as a compromise, but your suggestion of conjecture is the best candidate so far.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 14:28 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:

Another interesting word to translate. It lies somewhere between belief and conjecture. Suspicion and speculation are also possibilities. I see why they resorted to assumption as a compromise, but your suggestion of conjecture is the best candidate so far.

Thanks.

You're right about the meaning of الظن. I recall a talk by the late Sheikh Sha`raawi, may God bless his soul, in which he ranked the levels of certainty as follows:
اليقين
العلم
الظن
الترجيح
الشك
الريب
الوهم

I can see how the translation of الظن as "assumption" can be appropriate in some contexts.