TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 3:59-63
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 07:52 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 3:59-63
PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 16:38 
Site Admin

Quote:
{3:59} Indeed, the example of Jesus to God is like that of Adam. He created Him from dust; then He said to him, "Be," and he was.

Serious error here in capitalizing "Him". I suggest,
{3:59} Verily, the example of Jesus, by God, is like the example of Adam. He created him from dust then said to him, "Be," and he is.

Quote:
{3:60} The truth is from your Lord, so do not be among the doubters.

I suggest,
{3:60} The truth is from your Lord, so do not be among the skeptics.

Quote:
{3:61} Then whoever argues with you about it after [this] knowledge has come to you - say, "Come, let us call our sons and your sons, our women and your women, ourselves and yourselves, then supplicate earnestly [together] and invoke the curse of God upon the liars [among us]."

I suggest,
{3:61} Then whoever rebuts you about him after knowledge has come to you, then say, "Come over you all, let us call our sons and your sons, our women and your women, ourselves and yourselves, then plead [to God] to set the curse of God upon the liars [among us]."

Quote:
{3:62} Indeed, this is the true narration. And there is no deity except God. And indeed, God is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

I suggest,
{3:62} Verily, this surely is the true narration. And there is no deity except God. And verily, God surely is the Almighty, the Wise.

Quote:
{3:63} But if they turn away, then indeed - God is Knowing of the corrupters.

Minor change,
{3:63} But if they turn away, then verily, God is All-Knowing of the corrupting.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2014, 10:57 

Not really a translation issue, but the verse

seems to provide evidence for evolution, as follows. The creation of Adam is likened to the creation of Jesus (peace be upon them). However, the creation of Jesus is spelled out elsewhere as a pregnancy followed by birth. This can be taken as evidence that Adam also was created by being given birth, patently by a not-yet-human form given that he is the first human.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 23:05 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Not really a translation issue, but verse 3:59 seems to provide evidence for evolution, as follows. The creation of Adam is likened to the creation of Jesus (peace be upon them). However, the creation of Jesus is spelled out elsewhere as a pregnancy followed by birth. This can be taken as evidence that Adam also was created by being given birth, patently by a not-yet-human form given that he is the first human.

Actually it is the other way around: Jesus is likened to Adam. I'd argue that a valid conclusion is that Jesus was created from dust. How that became a fetus is something nobody knows.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2014, 07:37 

Linguistic wrote:
Actually it is the other way around: Jesus is likened to Adam. I'd argue that a valid conclusion is that Jesus was created from dust. How that became a fetus is something nobody knows.

The premise of evolution in the context of religion is that, physically, things evolved in the natural biological way to be ready to host the human race, and God bestowed the human soul on one of those physical creatures.

BTW, I am not sure I follow your argument. Jesus is likened to Adam, and Jesus was carried in Mariam's womb and given birth to, rather than being thrown in as a done deal without the biological process.

Peace be upon all of them.