TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 3:103-105
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 07:47 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 3:103-105
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 17:58 
Site Admin

Quote:
{3:103} And hold firmly to the rope of God all together and do not become divided. And remember the favor of God upon you - when you were enemies and He brought your hearts together and you became, by His favor, brothers. And you were on the edge of a pit of the Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus does God make clear to you His verses that you may be guided.

Excellent translation, except for the translation of آياته as "His verses." It should be "His signs."

I suggest,
{3:103} And hold firmly to the rope of God altogether and do not disband. And remember the favor of God upon you - as you were enemies then He affiliated between your hearts, thus you became, by His favor, brethren. And you were on the edge of a pit of the Fire, and He rescued you from it. Thus does God clarify to you His signs that perhaps you may find guidance.

Quote:
{3:104} And let there be [arising] from you a nation inviting to [all that is] good, enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong, and those will be the successful.

Excellent translation, but I'd stick closer to Arabic in translating المعروف and المنكر as "what is recognized [as right]" and "what is frowned upon [as wrong]."

Quote:
{3:105} And do not be like the ones who became divided and differed after the clear proofs had come to them. And those will have a great punishment.

I'd say "grand torment" instead of "great punishment."

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 21:46 

Linguistic wrote:
I'd stick closer to Arabic in translating المعروف and المنكر as "what is recognized [as right]" and "what is frowned upon [as wrong]."
I agree with the long translation in this case because this is a central notion in the Quran with significant implications, so accuracy in the meaning at the expense of conciseness is warranted. I would like a closer translation to المنكر than "frowned upon" though. Can't think of one.

Quote:
I think "great torment" would be best.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 17:34 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
I'd stick closer to Arabic in translating المعروف and المنكر as "what is recognized [as right]" and "what is frowned upon [as wrong]."
I agree with the long translation in this case because this is a central notion in the Quran with significant implications, so accuracy in the meaning at the expense of conciseness is warranted. I would like a closer translation to المنكر than "frowned upon" though. Can't think of one.

I think I found one: Virtue and vice! So, I suggest for 3:104,
{3:104} And let there be from you a community inviting to goodness, promoting virtue and curbing vice, and those - they are the prospering.

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
I think "great torment" would be best.

"Tremendous" would be even better. So, I suggest for 3:105,
{3:105} And do not be like the ones who disbanded and differed after have come to them the clear evidences. And those - for them is a tremendous torment.