TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 3:110-112
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 07:46 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 3:110-112
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 18:34 
Site Admin

Quote:
{3:110} You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in God. If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient.

I suggest,
{3:110} You have been the best community produced for mankind; you enjoin what is recognized [as right], forbid what is frowned upon [as wrong] and believe in God. Had the People of the Scripture believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are deviant.

Quote:
{3:111} They will not harm you except for [some] annoyance. And if they fight you, they will show you their backs; then they will not be aided.

This and the other translations chose to translate أذى as "annoyance" or "trifle hurt." I think it means physical hurt. The verse is assuring Muslims, who maintain their best community status, that their enemies may harm them physically but will not spiritually. Thus, I suggest,
{3:111} They will not harm you (spiritually) but [only] with [physical] hurt. And if they fight you, they will turn their backs to you, then they will not be supported.

Quote:
{3:112} They have been put under humiliation [by God] wherever they are overtaken, except for a covenant from God and a rope from the Muslims. And they have drawn upon themselves anger from God and have been put under destitution. That is because they disbelieved in the verses of God and killed the prophets without right. That is because they disobeyed and [habitually] transgressed.

I'm not sure why the translator chose "covenant", except as exegesis. We do not want to interpret here; we want to translate. The Arabic says "rope" and Pickthall used it, so I suggest we use "rope."

باءوا really means "ended up," so I suggest "And they ended up with wrath from God..."

The rest is excellent translation :)

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 21:51 

Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{3:110} You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in God. If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient.

I suggest,
{3:110} You have been the best community produced [as an example] for mankind; you enjoin what is recognized [as right], forbid what is frowned upon [as wrong] and believe in God. Had the People of the Scripture believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are deviant.

Why "as an example"?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 00:05 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
Quote:

I suggest,
{3:110} You have been the best community produced [as an example] for mankind; you enjoin what is recognized [as right], forbid what is frowned upon [as wrong] and believe in God. Had the People of the Scripture believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are deviant.

Why "as an example"?

No reason. I guess I just liked it :) I should comply with my own rules, you mean?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 05:44 

Linguistic wrote:
I should comply with my own rules, you mean?

I didn't say a word. :)

Post subject: Suggested translation
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 23:32 
Site Admin

{3:110} You have been the best community produced for mankind: you promote virtue, curb vice and believe in God. And if the People of the Book had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are the faithful, but most of them are the deviant.

{3:111} They will not harm you except [with] hurt. And if they fight you, they would turn to you the backs (retreat), then they are not helped.

{3:112} They have been struck with humiliation wherever they are located, except for a rope from God (saving grace) and a rope from the people. And they ended up with wrath from God and have been struck with destitution. That is because they have been disbelieving in the signs of God and killing the prophets without right. That is because they disobeyed and have been transgressing.