TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 3:140-142
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 07:43 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 3:140-142
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 14:09 
Site Admin

Quote:
{3:141} And that God may purify the believers [through trials] and destroy the disbelievers.

Pickthall translated يمحص best, IMHO, as "prove." I'd replace "purify" with "prove."

Quote:
{3:142} Or do you think that you will enter Paradise while God has not yet made evident those of you who fight in His cause and made evident those who are steadfast?

The Arabic used the past tense here, حسبتم, so I'd change "Or do you think..." to "Or did you think..."

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2009, 22:55 

Linguistic wrote:
Quote:
{3:141} And that God may purify the believers [through trials] and destroy the disbelievers.
Pickthall translated يمحص best, IMHO, as "prove." I'd replace "purify" with "prove."
It may be a false understanding of mine, but I always perceived the contrast between the two verbs in this verse as making one go up and making the other go down.

Quote:
The Arabic used the past tense here, حسبتم, so I'd change "Or do you think..." to "Or did you think..."
Agreed.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 04:46 

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
Quote:

It may be a false understanding of mine, but I always perceived the contrast between the two verbs in this verse as making one go up and making the other go down.

I thought of "polish" and "raze" for the two verbs.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 16:58 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
I thought of "polish" and "raze" for the two verbs.

"Raze" is a good translation of يمحق but I'm not sure about "polish" for translating يمحص. To polish is to remove the rust so that the sheen will show. The verb for that in Arabic is يجلو. The word I was looking for is one that indicates a verification of what's in the hearts of the believers: Is their faith just lip service or can it be proven in a tough situation? The Arabic dictionary, however, does support the polishing semantic as it says the word is used to refer to removing skin to get to the meat.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 09:15 

Linguistic wrote:
I'm not sure about "polish" for translating يمحص. To polish is to remove the rust so that the sheen will show. The verb for that in Arabic is يجلو. The word I was looking for is one that indicates a verification of what's in the hearts of the believers: Is their faith just lip service or can it be proven in a tough situation?

Good point.

Post subject: Suggested translation
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 21:42 
Site Admin

{3:140} If should touch you a sore, then there has certainly touched the folk (disbelievers) a sore like it. And those the days We alternate them between the people so that God may note those who have believed and [may] take to Himself from among you martyrs - and God does not like the wrongdoers -

{3:141} And that God may prove those who have believed and scrape off the disbelievers.

{3:142} Or did you reckon that you may enter the Garden while God has not yet noted those who strove among you and [has not yet] noted the steadfast?