TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 38:21-24
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 04:18 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 38:21-24
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 23:09 
Site Admin

Quote:
{38:21} And has there come to you the news of the adversaries, when they climbed over the wall of [his] prayer chamber -

I suggest,
{38:21} And has there come to you the news of the litigants, when they climbed over the wall of [his] prayer chamber -

Quote:
{38:22} When they entered upon David and he was alarmed by them? They said, "Fear not. [We are] two adversaries, one of whom has wronged the other, so judge between us with truth and do not exceed [it] and guide us to the sound path.

Asad caught the special aspect of fear indicated by the verb فزع which is the cowering or cringing. I suggest,

{38:22} When they entered upon David and he cringed from them? They said, "Do not fear. [We are] two litigants, some of us overreached other. So, judge between us with the truth and do not veer and guide us to the level path."

Quote:
{38:23} Indeed this, my brother, has ninety-nine ewes, and I have one ewe; so he said, 'Entrust her to me,' and he overpowered me in speech."

The verb عزني means "he was adamant and I yielded" or "he insisted and I gave in." I suggest,

{38:23} "Verily, this is my brother. He has ninety nine ewes and I have one ewe. He said, 'Let me be in charge of her' and he intimidated me in speech."

Quote:
{38:24} [David] said, "He has certainly wronged you in demanding your ewe [in addition] to his ewes. And indeed, many associates oppress one another, except for those who believe and do righteous deeds - and few are they." And David became certain that We had tried him, and he asked forgiveness of his Lord and fell down bowing [in prostration] and turned in repentance [to God].

I suggest,
{38:24} [David] said, "He has certainly wronged you by requesting [to add] your ewe to his ewes. And verily, many associates surely overreach one another, except for those who have believed and done the righteous [deeds] - and few even are they." And David thought that We had tried him, so he asked forgiveness of his Lord and fell down bowing and turned [to God].