TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 33:12-17
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 05:33 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 33:12-17
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 13:29 
Site Admin

Quote:
{33:12} And [remember] when the hypocrites and those in whose hearts is disease said, "God and His Messenger did not promise us except delusion,"

I suggest,
{33:12} And [remember] as the hypocrites and those in whose hearts is disease say, "God and His Messenger did not promise us is but a delusion,"

Quote:
{33:13} And when a faction of them said, "O people of Yathrib, there is no stability for you [here], so return [home]." And a party of them asked permission of the Prophet, saying, "Indeed, our houses are unprotected," while they were not exposed. They did not intend except to flee.

I suggest,
{33:13} And as a bevy of them said, "O people of Yathrib, there is no standing for you [here], so return [home]." And a segment of them asked permission of the Prophet, saying, "Verily, our homes are exposed," while they were not exposed. They want but fleeing.

Quote:
{33:14} And if they had been entered upon from all its [surrounding] regions and fitnah had been demanded of them, they would have done it and not hesitated over it except briefly.

I suggest,
{33:14} And if it (the city) had been entered upon them from its perimeters and sedition had been asked of them, they would have committed it and they would not have lingered in it except a little.

Quote:
{33:15} And they had already promised God before not to turn their backs and flee. And ever is the promise to God [that about which one will be] questioned.

I suggest,
{33:15} And they had already pledged to God before not to turn their backs. And ever has the pledge to God been accountable.

Quote:
{33:16} Say, [O Muhammad], "Never will fleeing benefit you if you should flee from death or killing; and then [if you did], you would not be given enjoyment [of life] except for a little."

I suggest,
{33:16} Say, "Never will fleeing benefit you if you fled from death or killing; and then [if you did], you would not be given leisure except a little."

Quote:
{33:17} Say, "Who is it that can protect you from God if He intends for you an ill or intends for you a mercy?" And they will not find for themselves besides God any protector or any helper.

I suggest,
{33:17} Say, "Who is that who may shield you from God if He wanted for you an ill or wanted for you a mercy?" And they will not find for themselves besides God an ally nor a helper.