TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 2:174-176
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 08:17 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 2:174-176
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 15:23 
Site Admin

Quote:
{2:174} Indeed, they who conceal what God has sent down of the Book and exchange it for a small price - those consume not into their bellies except the Fire. And God will not speak to them on the Day of Resurrection, nor will He purify them. And they will have a painful punishment.

As we've been suggesting, I'd change "consume not" to "do not consume" and "punishment" to "torment", i.e.,

{2:174} Verily, they who suppress what God has sent down of the Book so that they purchase with it a small price - those do not consume in their bellies but the Fire. And God does not speak to them on the Day of Resurrection, nor purify them. And for them is a painful torment.

Quote:
{2:175} Those are the ones who have exchanged guidance for error and forgiveness for punishment. How patient they are in pursuit of the Fire!

All four of the alternative translations used "error" to translate الضلالة. I think "loss" or "misguidance" serves the meaning better but I'll go along with the consensus. Also, the exclamation clause is mistranslated, IMHO. I suggest,

{2:175} Those are the ones who have purchased error with guidance and torment with forgiveness. How enduring they are of the Fire!

Quote:
{2:176} That is [deserved by them] because God has sent down the Book in truth. And indeed, those who differ over the Book are in extreme dissension.

The interjection, "deserved by them" is unnecessary. I suggest,
{2:176} That is because God has sent down the Book in truth. And verily, those who have differed over the Book surely are in extreme dissension.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2009, 02:53 

Linguistic wrote:
All four of the alternative translations used "error" to translate الضلالة. I think "loss" or "misguidance" serves the meaning better but I'll go along with the consensus.

I am surprised that "error" was used. I'd go for "misguidance" since "loss" could mean losing something rather then getting lost.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014, 17:16 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
All four of the alternative translations used "error" to translate الضلالة. I think "loss" or "misguidance" serves the meaning better but I'll go along with the consensus.

I am surprised that "error" was used. I'd go for "misguidance" since "loss" could mean losing something rather then getting lost.

I agree, especially since error can be made unintentionally. So, I suggest,
{2:175} Those are the ones who have purchased misguidance with guidance and torment with forgiveness. So, how enduring they are of the Fire!