TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verse 2:196
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009, 08:14 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verse 2:196
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 12:44 
Site Admin

Quote:
{2:196} And complete the hajj and `umrah for God. But if you are prevented, then [offer] what can be obtained with ease of sacrificial animals. And do not shave your heads until the sacrificial animal has reached its place of slaughter. And whoever among you is ill or has an ailment of the head [making shaving necessary must offer] a ransom of fasting [three days] or charity or sacrifice. And when you are secure, then whoever performs `umrah [during the hajj months] followed by hajj [offers] what can be obtained with ease of sacrificial animals. And whoever cannot find [or afford such an animal] - then a fast of three days during hajj and of seven when you have returned [home]. Those are ten complete [days]. This is for those whose family is not in the area of al-Masjid al-Haram. And fear God and know that God is severe in penalty.

As we mentioned before, there is little justification for the three transliterations highlighted above in italics. "Hajj" means pilgrimage, `Umra could be translated as "ritual visit" and "Al-Masjid al-Haram" can be translated "The Sacrosanct Mosque."

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 20:20 

Linguistic wrote:
"Hajj" means pilgrimage, `Umra could be translated as "ritual visit"

Translating "Hajj" to pilgrimage is obvious (even if hajj is more elaborate) since the word pilgrimage has been repeatedly used in the international press to refer to the Islamic Hajj. For Umra, it's a bit tricky. It would normally be translated to pilgrimage, too, since pilgrimage means "a journey to a sacred place or shrine," but the word is taken so to speak. I like "ritual visit" but not as a stand-alone. I suggest "Umra [ritual visit]." If symmetry calls for "Hajj [pilgrimage]" I can go for that.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2014, 19:56 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
I like "ritual visit" but not as a stand-alone. I suggest "Umra [ritual visit]." If symmetry calls for "Hajj [pilgrimage]" I can go for that.

Good idea. So, I suggest,
{2:196} And fully perform the Hajj (pilgrimage) and the `Umra (ritual visit) for God. But if you are detained, then [offer] whatever was feasible of tender (sacrificial animals). And do not shave your heads until the tender has reached its place [of slaughter]. And whoever among you was ill or has an ailment of his head (making shaving risky) then [he must offer] a ransom of fasting, charity or ritual (animal sacrifice). Then when you have become secure, then whoever took the convenience (a break) between the ritual visit and the pilgrimage, then [he must offer] what is feasible of tender. And whoever did not find [or afford such an animal] - then a fast of three days during the pilgrimage and of seven when you have returned [home]. Those are ten complete [days]. That is for those whose family members were not local to the Sacrosanct Mosque. And watch out for God and know that God is severe in punishment.