TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 30:1-7
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 05:49 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 30:1-7
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 04:14 
Site Admin

The paramount importance of translating the style of the Quran is best showcased by verses 30:2-5! In these verses, God narrates the event of the defeat of the Romans (at the hands of the Persians). God gives us the moral of the narrative in style first then in words! In these verses, God ends each verse before the sentence ends! This gives us the lesson, in style, that an apparent end, i.e., end of verse, is not necessarily the final end, i.e., end of sentence; that there is more to the narrative: there was more to the defeat of the Romans!

What an astounding style that is! God gives us the moral of the narrative in words in 30:7, namely that the present is only one part of life, that the future can be quite different and therefore we must also learn that this life on earth is only one part of our journey and that the Hereafter is the culmination of that journey.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 07:50 

Linguistic wrote:
God gives us the moral of the narrative in style first then in words! In these verses, God ends each verse before the sentence ends! This gives us the lesson, in style, that an apparent end, i.e., end of verse, is not necessarily the final end, i.e., end of sentence; that there is more to the narrative: there was more to the defeat of the Romans

Great point, and I don't think I have seen this observation before.

I have come across translations that merge verses together to 'complete' a sentence or a paragraph. I think anything that was specified in the Quran, such as the end of verses, should be strictly observed in the translation. There could be reasons for it that we haven't figured out yet.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 05:14 
Site Admin

Admin note: A couple of replies were moved to the Translation Issues forum. See topic, "Impact of annotations on translation."

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 22:06 
Site Admin

Quote:
{30:2} The Byzantines have been defeated

I suggest,
{30:2} The Romans (Byzantines) were defeated.

Quote:
{30:3} In the nearest land. But they, after their defeat, will overcome.

I suggest,
{30:3} In the nearest land. And they, after their defeat, will prevail.

Quote:
{30:4} Within three to nine years. To God belongs the command before and after. And that day the believers will rejoice

I suggest,
{30:4} In a few years. To God is the command before and after. And [on] that day, the believers will rejoice.

Quote:
{30:5} In the victory of God. He gives victory to whom He wills, and He is the Exalted in Might, the Merciful.

I suggest,
{30:5} In the support from God. He supports whom He wills, and He is the Unbeatable, the Merciful.

Quote:
{30:7} They know what is apparent of the worldly life, but they, of the Hereafter, are unaware.

I suggest,
{30:7} They know an appearance of [this] the nearest life, and they, of the Hereafter, they are heedless.