TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 28:50-55
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 06:03 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 28:50-55
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 03:14 
Site Admin

Quote:
{28:50} But if they do not respond to you - then know that they only follow their [own] desires. And who is more astray than one who follows his desire without guidance from God? Indeed, God does not guide the wrongdoing people.

I suggest,
{28:50} But if they did not respond to you - then know that they only follow their fancies. And who is more astray than one who has followed his fancy without guidance from God? Verily, God does not guide the wrongdoing folk.

Quote:
{28:51} And We have [repeatedly] conveyed to them the Quran that they might be reminded.

I suggest,
{28:51} And We have certainly already connected for them the uttering (God's message) that perhaps they may remember.

Quote:
{28:52} Those to whom We gave the Scripture before it - they are believers in it.

I suggest,
{28:52} Those to whom We granted the Book before it - they therein believe.

Quote:
{28:53} And when it is recited to them, they say, "We have believed in it; indeed, it is the truth from our Lord. Indeed we were, [even] before it, Muslims [submitting to God]."

I suggest,
{28:53} And when it is recited to them, they said, "We have believed in it; verily, it is the truth from our Lord. Verily, we were, [even] before it, Muslims [submitting to God]."

Quote:
{28:54} Those will be given their reward twice for what they patiently endured and [because] they avert evil through good, and from what We have provided them they spend.

I suggest,
{28:54} Those are granted their reward twice for what they endured and [because] they push away with the good the misdeed, and from what We have provided them they spend.

Quote:
{28:55} And when they hear ill speech, they turn away from it and say, "For us are our deeds, and for you are your deeds. Peace will be upon you; we seek not the ignorant."

I'd only change "seek not" to "do not seek."
{28:55} And when they have heard frivolity, they would turn aside from it and say, "For us are our works, and for you your works. Peace be upon you; we do not seek the ignorant."