TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 21:26-29
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 10:42 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 21:26-29
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 04:36 
Site Admin

Quote:
{21:26} And they say, "The Beneficent has taken a son." Exalted is He! Rather, they are [but] honored servants.

I suggest,
{21:26} And they said, "The Beneficent has taken a son." Sanctified is He! Rather, honored worshipers.

Quote:
{21:27} They cannot precede Him in word, and they act by His command.

I suggest,
{21:27} They do not preempt Him with utterance, and on His command they work.

Quote:
{21:28} He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they cannot intercede except on behalf of one whom He approves. And they, from fear of Him, are apprehensive.

I love the translation "apprehensive", but not the translation "intercede." That's because intercession carries a different semantic in Christianity and I don't want the English readers of this translation to get the impression that the Quran teaches intercession as Christians believe it, because it doesn't. The word الشفاعة does not mean intercession, but rather mediation, or putting in the good word. Intercession, as understood by most Christians, especially Catholics, is a necessary intermediary between man and God. There is no such concept in Islam.

I suggest,
{21:28} He knows what is between their hands (before them) and what is behind them, and they do not mediate except for those whom He approves. And they, from fear of Him, are apprehensive.

Quote:
{21:29} And whoever of them should say, "Indeed, I am a god besides Him"-- that one We would recompense with Hell. Thus do We recompense the wrongdoers.

I suggest,
{21:29} And whoever of them says, "Verily, I am a god besides Him" - that one We recompense with Gehenna (Hell). Thus We recompense the wrongdoers.