TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 20:9-16
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 10:56 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 20:9-16
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 22:20 
Site Admin

Quote:
{20:9} And has the story of Moses reached you? -

I suggest,
{20:9} And has come to you the narrative about Moses?

Quote:
{20:10} When he saw a fire and said to his family, "Stay here; indeed, I have perceived a fire; perhaps I can bring you a torch or find at the fire some guidance."

I suggest,
{20:10} As he saw a fire and said to his family, "Stay [here]; verily, I comfortably sensed a fire; perhaps I [can] bring you therefrom a torch or find at the fire a guidance."

Quote:
{20:11} And when he came to it, he was called, "O Moses,

I suggest,
{20:11} Then once he came to it, he was called, "O Moses,"

Quote:
{20:12} Indeed, I am your Lord, so remove your sandals. Indeed, you are in the sacred valley of Tuwa.

In this verse is a most interesting arrangement of words. The word طوى at the end of the verse could be an adjective of بالواد المقدس (by the sacred valley), in which case it would mean "twice", i.e., twice hallowed, as Asad translated it. It could also be the name of the valley, as most translators understood it. But it can also be an adverb for فاخلع نعليك (remove your sandals), in which case it would mean "folded."

I was very inclined to the last interpretation, because Chapter 20 has another verse, 67, in which word order is peculiar - the subject of the sentence is the last word in it!

However, after reading Edward Henry Palmer's translation, "the holy valley Tuva", I started to think that the word is the ancient name of the valley and may have been mentioned that way in prior scriptures. I tried to confirm that but couldn't. If any of you can help, please do.

Until that happens, I'll go with the majority,
{20:12} "Verily, I am your Lord, so remove your sandals. Verily, you are in the hallowed valley Tuwa."

Quote:
{20:13} And I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed [to you].

I'll only add quotes,
{20:13} "And I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed [to you]."

Quote:
{20:14} Indeed, I am God. There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.

I suggest,
{20:14} "Verily, I am God. There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance."

Quote:
{20:15} Indeed, the Hour is coming - I almost conceal it - so that every soul may be recompensed according to that for which it strives.

I suggest,
{20:15} "Verily, the Hour is coming - I barely hide it - so that every soul is recompensed according to what it endeavors."

Quote:
{20:16} So do not let one avert you from it who does not believe in it and follows his desire, for you [then] would perish.

I suggest,
{20:16} "So never let shun you from it who does not believe in it and has followed his fancy, for then you would perish."