TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 18:54-59
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 18:32 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 18:54-59
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011, 04:25 
Site Admin

Quote:
{18:54} And We have certainly diversified in this Quran for the people from every [kind of] example; but man has ever been, most of anything, [prone to] dispute.

I suggest,
{18:54} And We have certainly diversified in the Quran for people of every parable; but man has been the most contentious thing.

Quote:
{18:55} And nothing has prevented the people from believing when guidance came to them and from asking forgiveness of their Lord except that there [must] befall them the [accustomed] precedent of the former peoples or that the punishment should come [directly] before them.

This translation understood the verse to mean that punishment always follows disbelievers, but I think that understanding, though valid on its own, is not supported by the Arabic of this verse. What the Arabic says is that people have this tendency to believe only when they face torment, kind of like when Pharaoh said he believed when he was about to drown. The verse says that torment is what stops people from following God's message. As long as God does not send a punishment, people think they can continue in their denial.

I suggest,
{18:55} And what hindered people from believing when guidance came to them and to ask forgiveness of their Lord, is but that comes to them the way of the formers (annihilation), or comes torment to them affront.

Quote:
{18:56} And We send not the messengers except as bringers of good tidings and warners. And those who disbelieve dispute by [using] falsehood to [attempt to] invalidate thereby the truth and have taken My verses, and that of which they are warned, in ridicule.

I suggest,
{18:56} And We do not send the messengers except as heralds of glad tidings and warners. And those who disbelieve debate using fallacy to [try to] invalidate thereby the truth. And they have taken My signs, and what they have been warned [against], in ridicule.

Quote:
{18:57} And who is more unjust than one who is reminded of the verses of his Lord but turns away from them and forgets what his hands have put forth? Indeed, We have placed over their hearts coverings, lest they understand it, and in their ears deafness. And if you invite them to guidance - they will never be guided, then - ever.

I suggest,
{18:57} And who is more unjust than one who was reminded of the signs of his Lord but turned his side to them, and forgot what his two hands have put forth? Verily, We set over their hearts veils that they may not understand it, and in their ears heaviness. And if you invite them to guidance, they will not find guidance - ever.

Quote:
{18:58} And your Lord is the Forgiving, full of mercy. If He were to impose blame upon them for what they earned, He would have hastened for them the punishment. Rather, for them is an appointment from which they will never find an escape.

I suggest,
{18:58} And your Lord is the Oft-Forgiving, Possessor of mercy. If He were to call them to account for what they earned, He would have hastened for them the torment. Rather, for them is an appointment beyond which they will not find a refuge.

Quote:
{18:59} And those cities - We destroyed them when they wronged, and We made for their destruction an appointed time.

I suggest,
{18:59} And those towns - We destroyed them when they wronged, and We made for their destruction an appointment.