TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 18:50-53
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 18:32 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 18:50-53
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011, 03:43 
Site Admin

Quote:
{18:50} And [mention] when We said to the angels, "Prostrate to Adam," and they prostrated, except for Iblees. He was of the jinn and departed from the command of his Lord. Then will you take him and his descendants as allies other than Me while they are enemies to you? Wretched it is for the wrongdoers as an exchange.

I suggest,
{18:50} And [mention] when We said to the angels, "Prostrate to Adam," and they prostrated, but not Iblees; he was from the sprites and deviated from the command of his Lord. Do you then take him and his offspring as allies besides Me while they are to you an enemy? How wretched for the wrongdoers a substitute!

Quote:
{18:51} I did not make them witness to the creation of the heavens and the earth or to the creation of themselves, and I would not have taken the misguiders as assistants.

I suggest,
{18:51} I did not have them witness the creation of the heavens and the earth, nor the creation of themselves, and I would not be taking the misleaders for solidarity!

Quote:
{18:52} And [warn of] the Day when He will say, "Call 'My partners' whom you claimed," and they will invoke them, but they will not respond to them. And We will put between them [a valley of] destruction.

I like best Qara'i's translation of موبقا as abyss. I suggest,
{18:52} And [warn of] the Day when He will say, "Call 'My partners' whom you claimed," and they will call them, but they will not respond to them. And We put between them an abyss.

Quote:
{18:53} And the criminals will see the Fire and will be certain that they are to fall therein. And they will not find from it a way elsewhere.

I like best Ahmad Ali's translation of مصرفا as diversion. I suggest,
{18:53} And the criminals will see the Fire and be certain that they are falling therein. And they will not find away from it a diversion.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 01:17 

Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{18:50} And [mention] when We said to the angels, "Prostrate to Adam," and they prostrated, but not Iblees; he was from the sprites and deviated from the command of his Lord. Do you then take him and his offspring as allies besides Me while they are to you an enemy? How wretched for the wrongdoers a substitute!

Very good choice of words, but I have the following remark. The use of "besides me" suggests sharing, whereas the Arabic expression suggests substituting, which goes well with the closing of the verse.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 05:17 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Very good choice of words, but I have the following remark. The use of "besides me" suggests sharing, whereas the Arabic expression suggests substituting, which goes well with the closing of the verse.

Great point, especially the matching between beginning and end of the verse. Only problem is that linguistically, من دون means "besides." Recall that the primary issue of the disbelievers is not denial of God, but sharing devotion to Him with idols.

With that precept, I think that the epilogue of the verse means, "How wretched an alternative to monotheism!"