TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 17:66-69
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 02:47 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 17:66-69
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 14:35 
Site Admin

Quote:
{17:66} It is your Lord who drives the ship for you through the sea that you may seek of His bounty. Indeed, He is ever, to you, Merciful.

While "drive" is a good translation of يزجي, the word really means a gentle push, so I suggest,
{17:66} It is your Lord who eases the ship for you through the sea that you may seek of His bounty. Verily, He is ever, to you, Merciful.
Quote:
{17:67} And when adversity touches you at sea, lost are [all] those you invoke except for Him. But when He delivers you to the land, you turn away [from Him]. And ever is man ungrateful.

Excellent translation! I'd only say "shore" instead of "land", i.e.,
{17:67} And when adversity touches you at sea, lost are [all] those you invoke except Him. But when He delivers you to the shore, you turn away [from Him]. And ever is man so ungrateful.

Quote:
{17:68} Then do you feel secure that [instead] He will not cause a part of the land to swallow you or send against you a storm of stones? Then you would not find for yourselves an advocate.

Excellent translation. I'd change it slightly though,
{17:68} Then do you feel secure that [instead] He will [not] cause you to sink [under] the side of the shore, or send upon you a storm of stones? Then you would not find for yourselves an advocate.

Quote:
{17:69} Or do you feel secure that He will not send you back into the sea another time and send upon you a hurricane of wind and drown you for what you denied? Then you would not find for yourselves against Us an avenger.

تبيعا does not mean avenger, it means one who follows up. In this context, it means one who will try to get the person a second chance. I love the translation of Ali Quli Qara'i, "redresser". I suggest,
{17:69} Or do you feel secure that He will [not] send you back into it (the sea) another time and send upon you a hurricane of wind and drown you for what you denied? Then you would not find for yourselves against Us by it a redresser.