TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 13:1-2
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 04:39 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 13:1-2
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2009, 20:11 
Site Admin

Quote:
{13:1} Alif, Lam, Meem, Ra. These are the verses of the Book; and what has been revealed to you from your Lord is the truth, but most of the people do not believe.

I'd say "was sent down" instead of "has been revealed" to be closer to the Arabic words.

{13:1} Alif, Lam, Meem, Ra. These are the verses of the Book; and what has been sent down to you from your Lord is the truth, but most of the people do not believe.

Quote:
{13:2} It is God who erected the heavens without pillars that you [can] see; then He established Himself above the Throne and made subject the sun and the moon, each running [its course] for a specified term. He arranges [each] matter; He details the signs that you may, of the meeting with your Lord, be certain.

The translation "It is God who.." is good, but it implies that the Arabic uses a "restriction pattern" (أسلوب قصر). It doesn't. Therefore, I'd say instead, "God is the one who..."

I also would use "on the Throne", not above it. "Above" translates فوق.

A better translation than "each running [its course]", IMHO, of كل يجري is "each orbiting." Such translation uses the same number of words in English as in the Arabic source. I like to do that whenever feasible.

The remainder of the translation is exactly the way I like :) It follows the Arabic word order without violating English grammar.

{13:2} God is the One who raised the skies without pillars that you [can] see; then He established Himself on the Throne and subjugated the sun and the moon, each orbiting for a specified term. He arranges [each] matter; He details the signs that you may, of the meeting with your Lord, be certain.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2009, 07:32 

Linguistic wrote:
I also would use "on the Throne", not above it. "Above" translates فوق

Perhaps "over the throne" would convey the meaning better.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 06:16 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
I also would use "on the Throne", not above it. "Above" translates فوق

Perhaps "over the throne" would convey the meaning better.

But it wouldn't be consistent with the verb used, استوى IMHO. Yusuf Ali and Asad both translated it "on." I think "over" is used to indicate several sides, as in "my cup runneth over" indicating that the water is spilling from all sides of the cup. "On", on the other hand suggests steadiness.