TheMostReadBook.org
http://forum.themostreadbook.org/

Verses 12:32-34
http://forum.themostreadbook.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1267
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Index [ 06 Jun 2009, 07:46 ]
Post subject:  Verses 12:32-34

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment


Suggested translation1,2:


-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Author:  Linguistic [ 02 Feb 2010, 20:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: Verses 12:32-34

Quote:
{12:32} She said, "That is the one about whom you blamed me. And I certainly sought to seduce him, but he firmly refused; and if he will not do what I order him, he will surely be imprisoned and will be of those debased."

I suggest,
{12:32} She said, "That for you is the one about whom you blamed me. And I certainly sought to seduce him from himself, but he firmly refused; and if he will not do what I order him, he will surely be imprisoned and will be of the debased."

Quote:
{12:33} He said, "My Lord, prison is more to my liking than that to which they invite me. And if You do not avert from me their plan, I might incline toward them and [thus] be of the ignorant."

I suggest,
{12:33} He said, "My Lord, prison is more to my liking than what they invite me to. And if You do not divert from me their wiling, I might long for them and [thus] be of the ignorant."

Quote:
{12:34} So his Lord responded to him and averted from him their plan. Indeed, He is the Hearing, the Knowing.

I suggest,
{12:34} So his Lord responded to him and diverted from him their wiling. Verily, He is the much Hearing, the very Knowledgeable.

Author:  Pragmatic [ 17 Mar 2010, 18:06 ]
Post subject:  Re: Verses 12:32-34

Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{12:32} She said, "That for you is the one about whom you blamed me. And I certainly sought to seduce him from himself, but he firmly refused; and if he will not do what I order him, he will surely be imprisoned and will be of the debased."

I liked your other translation "from his [pure] self" better than "from himself." Also, I think either "sought protection" or "shielded himself" is a more faithful translation than "refused firmly" (in fact, he did not refuse firmly according to previous verses).

Quote:
I suggest,
{12:34} So his Lord responded to him and diverted from him their wiling. Verily, He is the much Hearing, the very Knowledgeable.

I am not comfortable with "the much Hearing" translation, but I don't have a good alternation. Maybe "The keen Listener"?

Author:  Linguistic [ 17 Mar 2010, 18:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Verses 12:32-34

Pragmatic wrote:
12:32 - I liked your other translation "from his [pure] self" better than "from himself." Also, I think either "sought protection" or "shielded himself" is a more faithful translation than "refused firmly" (in fact, he did not refuse firmly according to previous verses).
...
12:34 - I am not comfortable with "the much Hearing" translation, but I don't have a good alternation. Maybe "The keen Listener"?

Excellent suggestions, Pragmatic. Let's suggest this:

{12:32} She said, "That for you is the one about whom you blamed me. And I certainly tried to seduce him from his [pure] self, but he sought to shield himself; and if he will not do what I order him, he will surely be imprisoned and will be of the debased."

{12:34} So his Lord responded to him and diverted from him their wiling. Verily, He is the thorough Hearer, the very Knowledgeable.

Author:  Pragmatic [ 17 Mar 2010, 18:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: Verses 12:32-34

Great!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/