TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 12:39-40
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 07:45 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 12:39-40
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 02:38 
Site Admin

Quote:
{12:39} O [my] two companions of prison, are separate lords better or God, the One, the Prevailing?

Excellent translation.

Quote:
{12:40} You worship not besides Him except [mere] names you have named them, you and your fathers, for which God has sent down no authority. Legislation is not but for God. He has commanded that you worship not except Him. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

I suggest,
{12:40} You do not worship besides Him except [mere] names you have named them, you and your fathers, for which God has sent down no authority. Judgment belongs to none but God. He has commanded that you do not worship but Him. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 04:55 

Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{12:40} You do not worship besides Him except [mere] names you have named them, you and your fathers, for which God has sent down no authority. Judgment belongs to none but God. He has commanded that you do not worship but Him. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

Maybe "[mere] names that you have named" rather than "[mere] names you have named them." Also, I wanted something other "correct" religion to reflect the specific word used, but I don't have any good suggestions.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 06:04 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Maybe "[mere] names that you have named" rather than "[mere] names you have named them." Also, I wanted something other "correct" religion to reflect the specific word used, but I don't have any good suggestions.

How about "upstanding"?

{12:40} You do not worship besides Him except [mere] names you have named them, you and your fathers, for which God has sent down no authority. Judgment belongs to none but God. He has commanded that you do not worship but Him. That is the upstanding religion, but most of the people do not know.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 06:28 

Linguistic wrote:
Pragmatic wrote:

How about "upstanding"?

{12:40} You do not worship besides Him except [mere] names you have named them, you and your fathers, for which God has sent down no authority. Judgment belongs to none but God. He has commanded that you do not worship but Him. That is the upstanding religion, but most of the people do not know.

Upstanding is great. I still think "[mere] names you have named them" is not right since the object is already "names" so no need for "them"

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 18:04 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Upstanding is great. I still think "[mere] names you have named them" is not right since the object is already "names" so no need for "them"

Perhaps a comma would be in order, i.e.,
{12:40} You do not worship besides Him except [mere] names, you have named them you and your fathers, for which God has sent down no authority. Judgment belongs to none but God. He has commanded that you do not worship but Him. That is the upstanding religion, but most of the people do not know.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 19:23 

Linguistic wrote:
Perhaps a comma would be in order, i.e.,
{12:40} You do not worship besides Him except [mere] names, you have named them you and your fathers, for which God has sent down no authority. Judgment belongs to none but God. He has commanded that you do not worship but Him. That is the upstanding religion, but most of the people do not know.

Yes! Now I get the sentence structure.