TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Verses 12:43-46
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009, 07:44 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2009, 14:16
Posts: 1994
Go to previous segment   Go to next segment


Suggested translation1,2:


-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 12:43-46
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 03:06 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4534
Location: USA
Quote:
{12:43} And [subsequently] the king said, "Indeed, I have seen [in a dream] seven fat cows being eaten by seven [that were] lean, and seven green spikes [of grain] and others [that were] dry. O eminent ones, explain to me my vision, if you should interpret visions."

I suggest,
{12:43} And the king said, "Verily, I saw [in a dream] seven fat cows which seven lean ones eat, and seven green spikes [of grain] and others dry. O eminent ones, explain to me my vision, if you could cross over to (interpret) visions."

Quote:
{12:44} They said, "[It is but] a mixture of false dreams, and we are not learned in the interpretation of dreams."

I suggest,
{12:44} They said, "A random mix of dreams, and we are not in the interpretation of dreams any knowledgeable."

Quote:
{12:45} But the one who was freed and remembered after a time said, "I will inform you of its interpretation, so send me forth."

I suggest,
{12:45} But the one who was saved and remembered after a long time said, "I inform you of its interpretation, so send me forth."

Quote:
{12:46} [He said], "Joseph, O man of truth, explain to us about seven fat cows eaten by seven [that were] lean, and seven green spikes [of grain] and others [that were] dry - that I may return to the people; perhaps they will know [about you]."

I suggest,
{12:46} [He said], "Joseph, O man of truth, explain to us about seven fat cows which seven lean ones eat, and seven green spikes [of grain] and others dry - that I may return to the people; perhaps they will know."

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 12:43-46
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 05:07 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1838
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{12:43} And the king said, "Verily, I saw [in a dream] seven fat cows which seven lean ones eat, and seven green spikes [of grain] and others dry. O eminent ones, explain to me my vision, if you could cross over to (interpret) visions."

I would say "are eating" rather than "eat"

About cross over, isn't this verb the same derivation in colloquial Arabic as "give any attention to"? I mention this just in case it is a different meaning that is intended.


Quote:
I suggest,
{12:44} They said, "A random mix of dreams, and we are not in the interpretation of dreams any knowledgeable."

"any" followed by an adjective is awkward.


Quote:
I suggest,
{12:46} [He said], "Joseph, O man of truth, explain to us about seven fat cows which seven lean ones eat, and seven green spikes [of grain] and others dry - that I may return to the people; perhaps they will know."

Somehow "eat" here sounds right, whereas in the earlier verse it didn't.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 12:43-46
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 05:56 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009, 16:10
Posts: 4534
Location: USA
Pragmatic wrote:
About cross over, isn't this verb the same derivation in colloquial Arabic as "give any attention to"? I mention this just in case it is a different meaning that is intended.

That rich root conveys many meanings. The derivation you refer to, عبّر, also means to express, which linguistically implies that a meaning was crossed over from the explainer to the explained-to.

Pragmatic wrote:
"any" followed by an adjective is awkward.

I guess "any good" is colloquial, but not proper English. Ok, how about,
{12:44} They said, "A random mix of dreams, and we are not in the interpretation of dreams in any way knowledgeable."

_________________
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Verses 12:43-46
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 06:22 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2009, 00:16
Posts: 1838
Location: USA
Linguistic wrote:
I guess "any good" is colloquial, but not proper English. Ok, how about,
{12:44} They said, "A random mix of dreams, and we are not in the interpretation of dreams in any way knowledgeable."

Yes, this is good.

_________________
To translate is the best way to understand


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently 20 Oct 2020, 20:13

All times are UTC

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group