TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Abrogated Verses Or Not?
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011, 04:57 

Hi folks,

I'm not a Muslim but I find myself defending Islam a lot of the time because I am a pro-Palestinian activist.

I got a comment from a guy who claims that basically all the verses in the Koran that command you to do good deeds have been canceled by abrogation.

I would like to know a few things about abrogation:

a) Is there even a consensus among Muslims as to whether abrogation is legitimate theology?

b) Which verses if any have been abrogated?

c) How do you know if a verse has been abrogated?

d) If a verse has been abrogated is it still in the Koran?

e) Is there a consensus among those who believe in abrogation as to which verses have been abrogated?

f) If a verse has been abrogated is it replaced with a verse that has a similar meaning eg one that commands you to do good deeds?

Thanks

Rob

Post subject: Re: Abrogated Verses Or Not?
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011, 22:57 
Site Admin

Hi, Rob, and welcome to the forum. You came to the right place!

The answers to your questions are basically what this forum is all about. There is plenty to read, I realize, but if you want the short answers, here they are:

a) Is there even a consensus among Muslims as to whether abrogation is legitimate theology?
e) Is there a consensus among those who believe in abrogation as to which verses have been abrogated?

No, there is no consensus, neither on the doctrine itself nor on the individual claims.

b) Which verses if any have been abrogated?
Those who claim abrogation had claims anywhere between 4 and more than 230 verses abrogated! We counted so far 379 verses claimed abrogated, and we've shown in this forum that none of the claims can stand.

c) How do you know if a verse has been abrogated?
The only way is for God or His Messenger (PBUH) to tell us and neither of them did.

d) If a verse has been abrogated is it still in the Koran?
Yes, and that is one of the weirdest things about the abrogation doctrine as it clearly doesn't make any sense.

f) If a verse has been abrogated is it replaced with a verse that has a similar meaning eg one that commands you to do good deeds?
Not necessarily. Some scholars said that a Hadeeth (saying of Prophet Muhammad, PBUH) may be the abrogating text.

I encourage you to read the topics that address those questions in much detail and ask questions.

Post subject: Re: Abrogated Verses Or Not?
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 04:16 

Hi Linguistic,

Thanks for your reply.

I have to say from an outsider's point of view the doctrine seems odd. I don't see how a book from God could need revision. The notion itself seems to diminish the power of God who by definition sees all knows all and would therefore need to make no changes to His delivered word of guidance

I found this passage which seems to make clear there is no room for abrogation:

Those who believe and guarded (against evil): They shall have good news in this world's life and in the hereafter; there is no changing the words of Allah; that is the mighty achievement.
Sura Yunus (10) verses 63-64.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]