TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Did the Sunna abrogate 33:4-5 or the other way around?
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 17:13 
Site Admin

Dr. Mustafa Zayd, in his book النسخ في القرآن الكريم, volume 2, pages 127-128 (item 862), writes that Abu-Ja`far An-Nahhaas reported the claim that

was abrogated by the Sunna, since the Prophet (PBUH) adopted Zayd ibn Haaritha ibn Shuraaheel Al-Kalbi after freeing him from slavery, and he also made him brother of Hamza ibn Abdil-Muttalib (the Prophet's uncle), may God have been pleased with him. Reported by Al-Baghwi in his book معالم التنزيل, volume 7, pages 499-500, and by Ibn Katheer in his exegesis, volume 3, page 466. Ibn Katheer asserted that 33:4-5 abrogated the practice of the Arabs prior to it.

Dr. Zayd says that At-Tabari, Ibn Al-Jawzi and As-Suyooti did not address the abrogation claim at all in their books, but Ibn Al`Arabi did, in his book أحكام القرآن, volume 3, page 1495. He rejects the claim. But he only addressed the claim that 33:4-5 abrogated the practice of the Arabs before it.

If my memory serves me right, I recall reading narrations that the Prophet (PBUH) stopped the practice of virtual brother and adoption, so the claim is the other way around, isn't it?

Post subject: Re: Did the Sunna abrogate 33:4-5 or the other way around?
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 15:11 

Linguistic wrote:
If my memory serves me right, I recall reading narrations that the Prophet (PBUH) stopped the practice of virtual brother and adoption, so the claim is the other way around, isn't it?

My recollection too. And that made Zayd Ibn Muhammad, as he was called at the time, become Zayd Ibn Haritha again. Al-Shaarawy postulates that the fact that Zayd is the only Sahaabi mentioned by name in the Quran was to make up for the psychological loss when his name affiliation with the Prophet (PBUH) was taken away.

Post subject: Who said what
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2014, 18:01 
Site Admin

For:
An-Nahhaas (according to Dr. Zayd).

Against:
Ibn Al-`Arabi(according to Dr. Zayd),
Dr. Mustafa Zayd.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]