TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Did 24:3 abrogate 24:32?
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 01:06 
Site Admin

Some said it did. Here are the two verses,

is claimed to have been abrogated by

This is, IMHO, another example of two verses of the Quran complementing each other. I fail to see a contradiction between these two verses. Verse 24:3 forbids a believer from marrying a convicted fornicator, while 24:32 encourages Muslims to marry from the poor and from the slaves; neither of which is necessarily fornicator. Those of them who are fall under the prohibition of 24:3 but those who are not are eligible for marriage.

Perhaps scholars think that the slaves are fornicators without consent? If so, then they are victims and not convicts and do not qualify as fornicator, for God says:

Thus, a girl forced into sex is forgiven by God.

See also this topic which alleges it was the other way around, that 24:32 abrogated 24:3.

Post subject: Re: Did 24:3 abrogate 24:32?
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 01:54 

The abrogation case (or lack thereof) is obvious as you outline. Your choice of words raised another point not related to abrogation, but while we are at it let me address it.

The straight translation of الزاني in 24:3 is "fornicator" (and also adulterer, linguistically, but that's another topic). The same word is used in 24:2 when the punishment for fornication is set. In all the discussions I had over these two verses, my main complaint about how people dealt with the two verses was that they treated the two uses of the same word in the two verses differently. When it came to the prohibition of marriage in 24:3, they interpreted it as "well known for fornication such as a prostitute for example" (which can be justified by the context of the revelation of the verse in the story of عناق whom one of the Muslims wanted to marry). When it came to the punishment for fornication in 24:2, they interpreted it as "someone who fornicated, even once." I have always had difficulty with this because I cannot see how the same word in two consecutive verses about the same subject could mean two different things.

You have translated it into "convicted fornicator." This is certainly a plausible translation since the punishment will not be applied except to a convicted fornicator, and perhaps the prohibition of marriage is part of the punishment as an added stigma. This is the only explanation that I have seen that maintains the same meaning for the word الزاني in both verses.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]