TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Abrogation bibliography
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 06:14 
Site Admin

This topic is to list books written about abrogation. Please add to the list and if a book is available online, make the effort to include its URL.

All of the above books are available online at http://www.almeshkat.net/books/list.php?cat=7

Post subject: Re: Abrogation bibliography
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 07:17 

Linguistic wrote:
All of the above books are available online at http://www.almeshkat.net/books/list.php?cat=7

Fabulous link!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 06:41 

Linguistic wrote:

Same book. The author "Almaqrey" is the same as "Ibn Salama" (both are parts of his name), and the two texts are identical although the appearance in the two links is different.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 07:33 

Linguistic wrote:

I had a chance to read the first part of all the references mentioned in the OP of this thread, up to the point where they start going through the verses one by one to argue the different abrogation cases. IMHO, the two quoted references in this post are the most informative. Still, none of the references has enough specifics about the exact opinion of each scholar regarding the different aspects of the abrogation issue.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 05:49 
Site Admin

This is the book Ibn Katheer refers to authored by Abu-Muslim Al-Asfahaani, an exegesis writer, highly regarded but recognized that he belonged to the Mu`tazila school of thought. Imaam Ar-Raazi, who is said to have been Shee`i, often quoted him. Ibn Katheer says, Al-Asfahaani rejected the doctrine that there are abrogated verses in the text of the Quran. This book is an introduction to his views and exegesis and reports some of his arguments against abrogation:

تفسير أبي مسلم الأصفهاني.pdf

Another book which seems to be pro-abrogation is,

روائع البيان تفسير آيات الأحكام محمد علي الصابوني

The abrogation discussion is in volume 1 page 109.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 06:11 
Site Admin

The late Sheikh Muhammad Ash-Sha`raawi was pro-abrogation. Here is the section of his exegesis discussing 2:106,

He starts out confirming that the verse speaks of the Quran abrogating the Torah, but then extends the concept to abrogation of verses in the Quran. He uses the same arguments of Ibn Katheer, but he emphasizes that all abrogated verses were timed, yet he does not say how do we know that for verses that do not explicitly say they are timed.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 07:03 

Linguistic wrote:
The late Sheikh Muhammad Ash-Sha`raawi was pro-abrogation

Nobody said this would be easy.

Just imagine the curriculum in all religious schools that has been based on the abrogation doctrine for centuries, with pretty strong language used against anyone who disagrees. It makes it very difficult for anyone in the scholarly community to rebel, or to contemplate rebelling. In addition, some may not fully appreciate the serious damage that the doctrine entails, so they don't feel the urge to challenge the status quo.

I will read his opinion in detail as it may inspire some ideas.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 04:41 

I found this matter-of-factual article about abrogation that has historical perspective and many interesting details and references:

Hanafi Doctrine of Naskh (Abrogation)

The article identifies Abu-Bakr Al-Jassas, a scholar who died in the Hijri year 370, as the key figure in establishing the abrogation doctrine.

I also found this anti-abrogation article based on Asad's commentaries on the key verses used to support or refute the doctrine:

Doctrine of Abrogation

Both articles refer to Abu-Muslim Al-Isfahani, a scholar who died in the Hijri year 322, as the key figure who disagreed with the abrogation doctrine in principle.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 18:09 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
I found this matter-of-factual article about abrogation that has historical perspective and many interesting details and references:

Hanafi Doctrine of Naskh (Abrogation)

The article identifies Abu-Bakr Al-Jassas, a scholar who died in the Hijri year 370, as the key figure in establishing the abrogation doctrine.

I also found this anti-abrogation article based on Asad's commentaries on the key verses used to support or refute the doctrine:

Doctrine of Abrogation

Both articles refer to Abu-Muslim Al-Isfahani, a scholar who died in the Hijri year 322, as the key figure who disagreed with the abrogation doctrine in principle.

Great references. Thanks. The "Doctrine of Abrogation" article confirms all that I wrote!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 09:41 

Linguistic wrote:
The "Doctrine of Abrogation" article confirms all that I wrote!

I think this research project is unique in that the less original we are, the more likely that people will listen to us!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next