TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abrogation bibliography
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 05:19 

In digging up very old exegeses, I found one which is hand-written called تنوير المقياس من تفسير ابن عباس about the exegesis of Ibn Abbas written by (Abu-Taher) Muhammad Ibn Yaaqub (Al-Fayrouz-Aabadi Al-Shafeiy), died 817. The book is photographed in this site of manuscripts.

Here is the part about the interpretation of 2:106.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 17:28 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:
استحالة وجود النسخ بالقرآن، إيهاب حسن عبده، نشر مدبولي الصغير ٢٠٠٥م
تفنيد دعوى النسخ في القرآن، جمال البنا، مكتبة الملك فهد بن عبد العزيز، ١٤٢٥هـ

In my search for these two books, I found a lot of criticism directed at the authors. In general, it is not surprising that an anti-abrogation author will have other opinions that are also not mainstream. It is also not surprising that such author will be attacked, sometimes in colorful language :). However, I could not tell if these books and authors are on the fringe like others we ran into in our searches before, or they are 'legitimate'.

I haven't so far found the second book you quote above, but found that the author, Jamaal Al-Banna, wrote a book called الأصلان العظيمان الكتاب والسنة in which he wrote an 80-page chapter on abrogation. On his web site, a reviewer writes the following about it,

الباب الأول يضم أربعة فصول.
والفصل الثالث عن "تفسير القرآن بين القدامى والمحدثين" فيشير إلى المجموعات الثلاث التي عنيت بالتفسير. وهي اللغويون والمذهبيون والأخباريون ورأي الكتاب أن مذاهب هؤلاء جميعاً أثرت على تفسيرهم وعرضهم لمعاني القرآن بوجه خاص.

ويخصص الكتاب فصلاً كبيراً (80 صفحة) فند فيها دعوى النسخ وأن الاختلاف ما بين بعض الآيات والبعض الآخر إنما أريد به تقديم بدائل يمكن اللواذ بها.

وكان سنده في هذا هو أن كلمة "آية" التي جاءت في سورة البقرة لا تعنى أبداً في القرآن نصاً، وإنما علامة أو قرينة أو معجزة، وأورد كل المواضيع التي جاءت فيها كلمة آية، وتبلغ ثمانين موضعاً كلها بمعنى القرينة أو المعجزة كما نقل بالكامل الآيات المزعوم نسخها من كتاب أبو عبد الله بن حزم (وهو غير أبو محمد بن حزم الأندلسي الظاهري) وهي 208 آية وفندها جميعا

Brief translation:
Jamaal Al-Banna's book "The Two Grand Foundations: The Book and the Sunna", he writes an 80-page chapter about abrogation and rejects the doctrine on the basis that the word آية (in 2:106) means a sign and not a verse. He then proceeds to refute 208 abrogation claims by Ibn Hazm Al-Andalusi.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 05:33 
Site Admin

Al-Jabri, in his book الناسخ والمنسوخ بين الإثبات والنفي, pages 129-130, mentions two anti-abrogation books,

١- تفسير سورة الكهف لمحمد البهي، مكتبة وهبة بمصر.
٢- من قضايا القرآن،عبد الكريم الخطيب، دار الفكر العربي، ١٩٧٣

In the first book, Dr. Muhammad Al-Bahiyy, writes his exegesis of 18:27 as follows,

واتل ما أوحي إليك من كتاب ربك، أي التزم أيها الرسول - صلوات الله عليك - في تبليغك رسالة الله إلى الناس تلاوة مايوحى إليك من ربك في كتابه، وهو القرآن الذي بين يديك.
لا مبدل لكلماته، فإن ماجاء فيه من مبادئ ووصايا لا يتغير ولا ينسخ بحال، فهي من حكيم عليم، تتفق مع الطبائع البشرية في كل زمان وكل مكان، وإخبار القرآن هنا بأنه لا مبدل لكلمات الله يضع مسألة النسخ في القرآن موضع المراجعة وإعادة النظر فيما قيل في النسخ

Brief translation:
The sentence, "There is no replacing its words", means that what it contains of principles and commandments does not change nor can be abrogated in any way. They are from a Wise, Knowledgeable God, and they are harmonious with human nature every time and everywhere. The statement of the Quran that there can be no replacing its words, puts the issue of abrogation under review and make sit necessary to revisit what has been said about abrogation.

In the second book listed above, Abdul-Kareem Al-Khateeb, writes,

يرى عدد غير قليل من العلماء أن النسخ في القرآن ليس نسخا بمعنى إزالة الحكم، كما ذهب إلى ذلك القائلون بالنسخ، وإنما هو نسيئ وتأخير، أو مجمل أخر بيانه، أو خطاب حال بينه وبين أوله خطاب غيره، أو مخصوص من عموم، أو حكم عام لخاص، أو لمداخلة معنى في معنى، وأنواع الخطاب كثيرة، فظنوا - أي القائلون بالنسخ - أن هذا نسخ، وليس به، وأنه أي القرآن الكتاب المهيمن على غيره، وهو نفسه متعاضد أي يعضد بعضه بعضا

Brief translation:
Not a few of scholars opine that naskh in the Quran does not mean abrogation, meaning removal of ruling, as the pro-abrogation people have said. Rather, it's a delay, a belated explanation of something brief, specification of something general, etc.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 02:24 

Linguistic wrote:
التبيان لرفع غموض النسخ في القرآن، د. مصطفى إبراهيم الزلمي، ٢٠٠٦، دار وائل للنشر والتوزيع، عمان، الأردن. رقم الإيداع الدولي 9789957114251

Al-Zalmi dedicates pages 25-33 of this book to the subject of slavery. He probably used it to show that there are rulings in the Quran that have become permanently inapplicable, and that becoming permanently inapplicable is different from being abrogated. He did not support his claims of 'permanently inapplicable' in this case with any evidence. I appreciate that he is defending the religion against one of the standard attacks on it, but this detour was not needed for the subject at hand and the way he handled it did not serve his cause, nor his credibility, IMHO.

On pages 63-68 he goes into another tangent, which is the fact that the Quran is the constitution of Muslims. He does a great analysis of the topic, but the link to abrogation is pretty weak. The argument is that if the Quran is the constitution, it cannot have abrogated verses. I don't see the logic of it, to be honest.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 17:36 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Found a new anti-abrogation book:

بالحجة والبرهان لا نسخ في القرآن / تأليف حسام رشدي الغالي
مصر الجديدة [Cairo] : المكتب العربي للمعارف، 2005.
ISBN: 977276458X

I finished reading that book and I have to say that it is one of the best I've read. The author, Husaam Rushdi Al-Ghaali, is well-balanced and objective and has highlighted a number of meritorious abrogation claims and succeeded in refuting them all with plenty of evidence.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 04:14 

Linguistic wrote:
I finished reading that book and I have to say that it is one of the best I've read. The author, Husaam Rushdi Al-Ghaali, is well-balanced and objective and has highlighted a number of meritorious abrogation claims and succeeded in refuting them all with plenty of evidence.

Hear, hear. It is the best anti-abrogation book I read. The best pro-abrogation book I read was Zaid's.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010, 06:53 
Site Admin

Linguistic wrote:
استحالة وجود النسخ بالقرآن، إيهاب حسن عبده، نشر مدبولي الصغير ٢٠٠٥م

I've just now finished reading this book. It is astounding. A true eye opener. The author, while he was often too emotional, has backed up nearly all the shocking details he wrote with references giving book title, author, volume and page number.

Pragmatic, you mentioned that you read plenty of criticism of this book, if you can point me to some links, I'd appreciate it.

I do not necessarily agree with everything he said. I do not agree with dismissing the Hadeeth altogether just because many hadeeths are weak or strange. I find that a cause for studying the Hadeeth anew and closely in order to distinguish the authentic from the unauthentic.

I also do not agree that naskh means affirmation only. The word is a heteronym and should not be narrowed to mean abrogation nor affirmation, without proof. I have found that all the proofs offered in the literature that narrow the meaning are either lacking or interpretive.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010, 17:43 

Linguistic wrote:
Pragmatic, you mentioned that you read plenty of criticism of this book, if you can point me to some links, I'd appreciate it.

It came out when I googled the Arabic title. What I recall are attacks linked to his Quran-only approach, not so much his stand on abrogation or the quality of his analysis.

Quote:
I do not agree with dismissing the Hadeeth altogether just because many hadeeths are weak or strange. I find that a cause for studying the Hadeeth anew and closely in order to distinguish the authentic from the unauthentic.

Hear, hear. That's the next project. :)

Quote:
I also do not agree that naskh means affirmation only. The word is a heteronym and should not be narrowed to mean abrogation nor affirmation, without proof.

Agreed. The context should decide which of the two meanings is intended, not to mention the other shades of meaning introduced by the technical use of the word that early Muslims initiated.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 05:55 

More books:

1. "الناسخ والمنسوخ في الكتاب والسنة" by Abu-Ubaid Al-Qasem Ibn Salam (أبو عبيد القاسم بن سلام ), died 224 H. (not to be confused with Abu-Alqasem Hebatullah Ibn Salama, died 410 H.), published in 2006 by Dar Al-Kotob Al-Ilmeya in Beiurt, Lebanon. The book was edited/verified by Mostafa Abd-Alqader Atta (216 pages).

2. "النسخ عند الأصوليين" by Dr. Ali Jum'a ( د. علي جمعة ,Mufti of Egypt), published in 2005 by Nahdhat Misr in Egypt, ISBN 977-14-3007-6 (168 pages).

3. "التبيان في الناسخ والمنسوخ في القرآن المجيد" by Abdullah Ibn Muhammad Ibn Abdullah Ibn Hamza Ibn Abu-Alnajm Alsa`di Alyamani (العلامة عبد الله بن حمزة بن أبي النجم الصعدي اليماني), died 647 H., published in 2008 by Mu'ssasat Al-Tareekh Al-Arabi in Beirut, Lebanon, and edited/verified by D. Abdullah Al-Husseini (188 pages).

4. "حقيقة النسخ وطلاقة النص في القرآن " by Jamal Saleh Attaaya (جمال صالح عطايا), published in 2007 by Dar Al-Wafaa Lelttebaa' w Al-Nashr in Egypt, ISBN 977-15-0551-3 (426 pages).

5. "نفس الصباح في غريب القرآن وناسخه ومنسوخه" by Abu-Jaafar Ahmad Ibn Abd Al-Samad Ibn Abd Al-Haqq Al-Khazraji (أبو جعفر أحمد بن عبد الصمد بن عبد الحق الخزرجي), died 582 H., published in 1994 by the Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs in Morocco, edited/verified by Professor Muhammad Izzudeen Al-Me'yar Al-Idrisi. Parts I and II (total 812 pages).

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 19:03 
Site Admin

Linguistic wrote:
وقد قام برد كل ما اقترحه الجبري في كتابه لإنكار النسخ، الدكتور محمد محمود فرغلي، صاحب كتاب: "النسخ بين الإثبات والنفي" في خلال اثنتي عشرة صفحة وأجاد في ذلك فليرجع إليه من شاء

Thanks to Dr. Ali Jum`a who listed this book in the references section of his book النسخ عند الأصوليين, page 161, I have the publisher information and date of publication: Dar Al-Kitaab Al-Jaami`i 1976:
النسخ بين النفي والإثبات، د. محمد محمود فرغلي، دار الكتاب الجامعي، ١٣٩٦هـ/١٩٧٦م

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next