TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Shah Waliullah's book
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 07:56 
Site Admin

According to this web site, Waliullah's book where he narrowed down abrogation cases to five is الفوز الكبير:

ومنهم الشيخ أحمد شاه ولي الله الدهلوي شيخ الحديث في الهند في زمانه، وصاحب كتاب حجة الله البالغة، المتوفى سنة 1179هـ فقد ألف كتابا في علوم القرآن باسم "الفوز الكبير" وأنكر فيه على كل من يسرف بالقول في النسخ، ثم اختصر وقائع النسخ في القرآن في خمس آيات فقط مبينا الأدلة ووجهة نظره فيها، بعد أن أورد الآيات التي ذكرها السيوطي في الإتقان ضمن المنسوخة، ونقض منها ما يرى فيه النقض

Post subject: Re: Abrogation bibliography
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 08:39 
Site Admin

Just learned a new name who is against abrogation,

He has an unpublished book :( called التبيان لرفع غموض النسخ في القرآن

This page describes his life as follows,
أفنى عمره في خدمة الدين وتنزيه كتاب الله من التناقض واللغو

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 08:41 
Site Admin

Two more names, Ali Hasan Al-Areedh,

كتاب فتح المنان في نسخ القرآن، للشيخ علي حسن العريض مفتش الوعظ في الأزهر، وهو وإن لم يعالج الموضوع بشكل واسع وشامل إلا أنه عرض موضوع النسخ عرضا تاريخيا نقديا ثم أورد في نهاية البحث بعض الآيات المدعى عليها النسخ فنقض معظمها بما يدعم رأيه مشيرا بذلك إلى أن معظم ما ادعى فيه النسخ في القرآن دعوى بلا دليل

And Abd-ul-Muta`aal Al-Jabri,

ومنها: "النسخ في الشريعة الإسلامية كما أفهمه" للشيخ عبد المتعال الجبري، وقد تصدى فيه مؤلفه -هداه الله- إلى إنكار جميع وقائع النسخ في الإسلام، وهو رسالة صغيرة الحجم، ومن أبرز عناوينه:

1- لا منسوخ في القرآن، ولا نسخ في السنة المنـزلة.
2- أبدع تشريع قيل أنه منسوخ.

يناقش فيه بعض وقائع النسخ فينقض، وينكر وقوعه في القرآن زاعما: أن فيه نسبة للجهل أو التجهيل لله سبحانه وتعالى وهو منـزه عن ذلك كأنه في ذلك أراد أن يتبع مسلك أبي مسلم الأصفهاني -إن صح عنه ذلك- حيث قيل: إنه كان يرى جواز النسخ عقلا وينكر وقوعه سمعا، وقد أورد جماعة خلاف أبي مسلم بأنه كان خلافا لفظيا فقط، فقال ابن دقيق العيد: نقل عن بعض المسلمين إنكار النسخ، لا بمعنى أن الحكم الثابت لا يرتفع، بل بمعنى أنه ينتهي بنص دل على انتهائه، فلا يكون نسخا.

وقد قام برد كل ما اقترحه الجبري في كتابه لإنكار النسخ، الدكتور محمد محمود فرغلي، صاحب كتاب: "النسخ بين الإثبات والنفي" في خلال اثنتي عشرة صفحة وأجاد في ذلك فليرجع إليه من شاء

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 09:50 

Great pointers, Linguistic. Thank you!

Post subject: Books we should obtain
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 06:06 
Site Admin

From the above discussions, I think we should try to obtain the following books,

الفوز الكبير في أصول التفسير، أحمد شاه ولي الله الدهلوي

فتح المنان في نسخ القرآن، علي حسن العريض

تفسير أبي مسلم الأصفهاني (١٢ جزءا)

التبيان لرفع غموض النسخ في القرآن، دكتور مصطفى إبراهيم الزلمي

النسخ في الشريعة الإسلامية كما أفهمه، عبد المتعال الجبري

قراءة للإسلام من جديد، دكتور نهرو عبد الصبور طنطاوي

Post subject: Re: Books we should obtain
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 07:25 

Linguistic wrote:
From the above discussions, I think we should try to obtain the following books,

These two in particular are high priority.

BTW, Burton's book is starting to get on my nerves. It's becoming too verbose/rambling, as well as less respectful. I'll bite the bullet and finish it, just to make sure that all the bases are covered.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 09:46 

Pragmatic wrote:
Burton's book is starting to get on my nerves. It's becoming too verbose/rambling, as well as less respectful. I'll bite the bullet and finish it, just to make sure that all the bases are covered.

I am glad I did. Just when I was about to give up, Burton provided the best part of the book. Item 3 of Chapter 6 (pages 107-108) is packed with information and analysis about 22:52 and its impact on the interpretation of 2:106, showing blatant inconsistencies in the writings of the early pro-abrogation scholars. We discussed some of this in this post.

All in all, Burton's book was informative, providing different pieces of information and different points of view than the Muslim literature. It had some valuable tips that can be followed upon. However, at times, his contempt for the religion betrayed his effort to be objective in his writing, and there were few passages that were not appropriate. The main disadvantage of the book is that it is not modular. It is more of a stream of consciousness with significant redundancy whose break up into chapters and topics felt like an afterthought.

One remark he mentioned in the postscript on page 210 was interesting. He characterized the Medieval Muslim scholarly writers as knowledgeable in all facets of the religion, and he argued that because of this, they were brief in their writing and often used unelaborated terms that were assumed to be understood by a similarly scholarly reader without elaboration. He counts naskh as one of those terms, and notes that modern readers need to to dig up what the term meant to the writer in order to understand what he was actually talking about.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 17:56 
Site Admin

Pragmatic wrote:
Linguistic wrote:

These two in particular are high priority.

I agree they are. However, I think that Waliullah's book will probably be along the lines of arguing against "abrogation" or for it, while Az-Zalmi's book, from the review I read, will resolve the matter in principle, i.e., explain that the debates have been about two different concepts and that the problem was caused by the wrong definition of the word "نسخ".

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 05:26 
Site Admin

Linguistic wrote:
From the above discussions, I think we should try to obtain the following books,...

النسخ في الشريعة الإسلامية كما أفهمه، عبد المتعال الجبري

Just learned that the above book by Dr. Al-Jabri is published by Wahba Bookstore in Cairo, Egypt.

Post subject: Re: Dr. Az-Zalmi's view
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 03:33 
Site Admin

Linguistic wrote:

I got more information! According to this web site, the book is published by دار وائل للنشر والتوزيع in Amman, Jordan. ISBN: 978-995-7114-25-1. The book is 245 pages and was published in 2006.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next